Best scones ever.
My recipe notebook says these are from Martha Stewart in 2003... thanks, Mar! Original recipe was for blueberry scones, but I just used
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 3 Tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling tops
* 1 Tablespoon baking powder
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, I used my cheese grater to shred
* 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, picked over and rinsed
* 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
* 1/3 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing tops
* 2 large eggs, lightly beaten ** I used duck eggs
Heat oven to 400*
Sift together flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter and gently stir in berries (and zest). Turn out on a clean work surface (I have a marble top table).
Mix together cream and eggs in a liquid measuring cup. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients, pour in cream mixture, and use a fork to incorporate...then use a pastry scraper to mix just until it comes together. But don't squish the berries.
Pat dough into a 6-inch square and cut into 4 squares, then cut on the diagonal so you have 8 scones.
Brush with cream, then sprinkle with sugar and bake at 400* for about 20 - 22 minutes.
We had these with butter I made by shaking cream in a jar. Fabulous.
After chores we had a scramble with eggs, the first cherry tomatoes, goat cheese, and fresh herbs. We waved good bye and were so glad to have such good company.