Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The sweetest thing

Our newest little blue egg...
I love pullet eggs.

Isn't this the sweetest little egg? This little blue gem is from Baby Barnee, one of Floppy's five from last August.

Floppy set a beautiful nest at the end of last summer. When she went broody we put several other eggs under her. One was a rare blue egg from one of our oldest hens, Barnee. We got Barnee as part of our initial five chickens. We think she is at least 8 years old...which is pretty old for a hen. She was lame when we got her but she gets around pretty good. And every once in a while she lays an egg.

The resulting pullet (a young hen under a year old) is Baby Barnee - and she is the spitting image of her momma. She has tuffed ears, a plump body shape, and has lovely dark brown plumage. We're thrilled that she lays blue eggs also.

Thanks Baby Barnee, this is the sweetest thing I've seen all day.

10 comments:

Chai Chai said...

I still love your story of the workman asking you if the green shelled eggs had green yokes!

Blue eggs would be nice, I guess I will always want/need one more thing around here.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

hi CC! your little goaties are ADORABLE in their little jackets! ohmigosh! and yep, farming is like crack.. you cant just do it 'a little.'
ha!

ps thats not the weirdest thing i've been asked but a light blue yolk would be supercool

David said...

Funny...I've been getting a bunch of pullet eggs this last week too.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

David, our hens are all turned around..its a bit early for them. And i think i got a duck egg too! As a chef you know that duck eggs make spectacular custards.... I cant wait to get 2 more.
;-)

Naomi Banta said...

Our one ameracauna lays green eggs.

So I bring in the eggs to random recitations of Dr. Suess. :)

Mama Mess said...

Do you have your hens separated? I've always wondered how folks know exactly which hen laid which egg. I mean other than a pullet egg I suppose if you've only got one pullet. I've read that on several blogs and you are the lucky person I'm asking ;0P
I've never known which chicken gifted me with which egg!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Green eggs and ham? I LOVE that, Naomi! What rhymes with blue eggs??

hi GW! Can you believe I have so much time on my hands that I watch them? HA! Ok dream over..

Actually I keep a pretty watchful eye on who is doing what. And many of the breeds have specific egg colors/shapes. And since Barnee is our only EE hen (and we dont have an EE roo), I knew Baby Barnee must have laid it.

Plus Barnee Sr. is incarcerated with my mostly bald, yet beloved, Fats who is slowly growing her feathers in. Figuring out who laid which egg is kinda like one of those Chinese puzzels.. the ones with moving pieces and just one empty space.

Heiko said...

Saves you dying them at Easter.

Mama Mess said...

Ahh I see! I've always only had your regular garden variety brown egg layers, so I've never had a clue 'bout who laid what. Thanks for letting me know. I was starting to think maybe you had wild mystical powers I was underestimating...........

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Heiko - Egg-xactly! Every day is an egg hunt here.

GW, become one with the chicken... ohmmmmmm.... ha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...