Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fall sunflowers and harvest moon

Don't you just love this time of year?


We are really enjoying the cooler mornings.....


and the lighting is spectacular.....


The weather guy says that we may have our first frost in about 3 weeks....so the second week of October sounds about right.

Some of us were talking and we think this crazy moon has really brought out the predators.


Keep the clucks locked up tight folks! And be sure to check your hen houses for any signs that something is trying to chew its way inside. One of my buddy's lost his whole flock in one night.

We are letting the dogs be outside on patrol for longer and longer in the evenings and in the early mornings. Kai thinks its the best thing that has every happened to her in her whole life. She comes back to the house wet from the grass and covered in seeds. Completing the fencing on all sides is probably the best project we've ever done. I'll be happy when I go out and find my first varmint in the yard and Kai standing over it victoriously.

Happy Tuesday everyone! Are you tired of this moon also? Anybody acting funny?


***********************
HOUSEKEEPING: I think I enabled the mobile devices template... if you view this on your phone... will you let me know if it looks better? Did it work? My phone is from the Dollar Store as been missing for days (I think the chickens have it)... so I can't check this feature. But I hope it works and makes it easier to view. Thanks!

5 comments:

Samantha said...

Looked fine on my phone!

I saw a fox at the edge of our field for the very first time last night! Maybe it IS the moon!

Dreaming of Chickens said...

Hi OFG. I've been reading your blog for a couple of weeks now. I found you on the SS board. Your blog is so informative and funny that I had to go all the way back to your first post and read them all. I think your just great! And I think everyone is right, you should write a book. I'd buy it! and I'd read it too!

"I'll be happy when I go out and find my first varmint in the yard and Kai standing over it victoriously." My boys got a possum last night. :)

Anonymous said...

Cluck cluck cluuuck (What is this thing?)

Baakk cluck bauck doogle do (It is a gift from the gods...)

BRRRak clluckk bauk grr cluck (It is a phaser!)

Nuck nuck OFG cluck baukk grr bawww cluck doodle doo (Get her when she comes for the eggs!)

cluck bakk bauck klock luck nyuk nyuk curley (Make sure she feeds us first)

Chai Chai said...

I hope the chickens don't have it, you never know what they could be capable of.....

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks Samantha! and yikes! watch out for those foxes... those vixens are vexing for sure.

Hi DofC!! Thanks so much for reading - and your kind words. Aw shucks and all..
;-)

Re: Anon
OFG walks out and brandishes frying pan "4 of 12" at chickens, yells "Hey you clucks! Resistance is Futile! Gimme back my dang phone!"

Oh er... hey CC.. hows it goin? And yeah.. them clucks are something aren't they?
(HA! baby you're the best!)
:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...