Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Thursday, March 20, 2014

Greenhouse Sneak Peak

Where have I been and what have I been working on?  This lovely vision.....

Hoopin' it up in the greenhouse - where every day is a plant party!

Check it out. Remember that building a hoop house greenhouse was on my agenda and I can now (mostly) check it right off my list as done!

The best news is that even with our strong winds last nite the greenhouse did not end up all over the yard - it stands proudly as a monument to my victory. Or something. Ha!

In the next couple days I'll do a more detailed step by step guide of "how to." But for now here are some quick facts.

The basis for the design - cattle panels secured to a wood "box." Easy peasy.

First the design was based on the turkey hoop houses that my pal, Bourbon Red, built for his farm. However the dimensions are 12 feet long by 8 feet wide. This allowed for a higher ceiling and more useable space.

Next, I built the entire thing alone. It would have been easier to have a helper but thru determination and some foolishness I got it worked out. Why didn't I have help? Because my hubby works during the day and I was too excited to wait for his day off. But the headline is - if I can do it, so can you.

Then, my cost of goods was amazingly low, as in less than $150, plus materials on hand. My biggest expense was the three 16 foot cattle panels which were about $23 each. I happened to have some heavy duty 6ml plastic on hand which helped keep my costs low. However, I want to get the actual greenhouse plastic.

Someone smarter than me will have to explain how real greenhouse plastic is better because it will hold up to UV rays and all that. But for now, this worked. It will be another $60 or so for actual greenhouse plastic. But if what I have will work for a season then that will be fine with me.  As with all my projects I purchase the materials a little at a time.

I need to work on building out the workspace.

What's next? I need to build out the inside a bit. I have some sawhorse tables to move into it, some slapped together benches, and other work surfaces. I'm also going to move some containers in and start some salad greens. Then I will also need to work on mud control and the actual growing area. My plan is to use the green house for seed starting then plant butternut squash on one side, remove the plastic cover, and let the squash grow up over the hoops as a kind of trellis.

So far I'm thrilled with this project. In fact... if I ran an extension cord out there I think I might be able to live out there.

Stay tuned for more details but for now happy Thursday everyone! Are you living in your greenhouse?


8 comments:

David said...

Super awesome work! You gonna let come chickens in there for bug patrol?

Stoney Acres said...

Fun project! I don't have room at our current place for something like this but I hope to make the space some day!!

I've heard that the green house plastic is really not worth the extra money and that you will get the same results with the cheap stuff!

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! I am already thinking of other uses - how about a gardening shed using clear-ish roof panels? Obviously you don't need that...
KJ
- love your blog btw...

Kathleen Stoltzfus said...

How did you attach the plastic to the wood frame?

David said...

sooo if they are 16' panels and the base is 8' then then height is what 5.5'?

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks Dave! Actually I'm looking forward to a critter-free space.. my dream within a dream. As to your 2nd question. Add 10 inches... the panels are affixed to the top of a 10 inch tall board.

Thanks Stoney Acres!I'm hoping the plastic will last a season. We'll see how it goes.

Hi KJ! and thanks :-) Yep you could totally do clear panels. I think this is a little cheaper and I wanted more space.

Hi Kathleen! I'll show that in a future post. Basically you use long, thin boards and wrap the plastic around them - then screw the whole shootin' match to the wood sides of the greenhouse. Just stapling the plastic isnt a great solution because it will just get ripped and torn.

Cynthia R. said...

Great post. I have been wanting a greenhouse for years, but didn't want to get into a lot of work and expense. This one is just what I have been looking for. I'm wondering if maybe the greenhouse plastic is made to last longer? Some plastic will rot faster in the rain and sun than others.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Yep steakandeggs - I think it has to do with the UV rays or something. But hey if this lasts for a season I'll be thrilled. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...