Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Saturday, February 6, 2010

Three projects that made a difference last year

I still can't shake my 'goals and objectives' thinking from my corporate life. So as I'm doing my planning for this year I was thinking about what we accomplished last year.  And I gave myself a review.

Here are three projects that really made a difference last year:

1. Added dairy goats to the barnyard. The goats totally rocked. Altho I'm not a goat lover.. I am a goat liker.  Not having to buy dairy products all summer was great.  Grade: A+

2. Expanded our use of electric fence. Whoever invented electric fence should get a raise. Seriously. Keeps predators out, keeps pigs and goats in, doesn't require a lot of heavy lifting. Only downside was when The Big Man was out of town one time and I had to fix it myself .....while them pigs were eyeing me suspiciously. And poor Lucky got zapped pretty good and wouldn't go into the goat yard anymore.  Grade: B

3. Built and framed in the fourth side of the previously three-sided shed that now houses our turkeys and guineas. We have 3 internal coops plus 2 small areas inside the doors for storage. Grade: Solid A, if I do say so myself.

Now, on to this year's planning...

2 comments:

Chai Chai said...

This is the second time you have mentioned how great the Dairy Goats have been, what is so wonderful? No dairy product shopping, you mean no milk or butter? Are you making this stuff at home? How many do you have?

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Coming soon.. what's the big whoop about goats... Let me tell you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...