Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Monday, February 1, 2010

Too many eggs...

The only problem with having all these chickens is..... too many eggs.

I've been averaging about a dozen eggs a day. During the summer we feed them to the pigs -- cooked eggs are a great source of protein and an easy way to avoid the high priced hog feeds.  But seein' as how the pigs are... ahem... comfortably settled in my freezer, now what?

Seriously, I'm running out of people to give them too. The neighbors won't answer the door anymore, and even the old timers at church are starting to avoid eye contact.

So today I figured I'd make an angel food cake, which calls for a dozen egg whites. It was going great until the cake collapsed in a heap. For heaven's sakes. I've tried to make an angel food cake since I could hold a spoon and... nothing. It never works for me. I come from a long a glorious line of cooks and I just can't do it. Failure. F-. Do not collect $100.

I threw the awful remains into the hen yard. But I guess on the upside... that is a dozen less eggs that I have to find homes for.... and I made a divine chocolate custard from all those yolks. Say, wonder when we're getting the next round of pigs.....

3 comments:

Mimi said...

If I lived nearby, I'd take a few off of your hands.

Pigs taste good... I vote for more pigs!

In the mean time: Strata, quiche, frittata, souffle', egg mcmuffins, how about hard boiled? Good for snackin' (Haven't tried them, but maybe pickled?). Hmmm.. I see your problem...

Is there a nearby farmer's market or a corner store where you can just sell them?

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

Can you sell them? You can also make pickled eggs - which everyone swears they hate, but end up eating half the jar danged near every time..... http://backtobasicliving.com/blog/in-the-kitchen-and-in-the-yard/ I also end up scrambling a dozen or so occasionally and feeding them to the pups as a special treat, or back to the chickens as a "thank you".

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks for the recipe! I had the dreaded stomach virus lately and can't even imagine eating eggs right now... and the dogs are starting to say 'golly eggs AGAIN!!?'... so I'm trying to find new homes.

Unfortunately my insurance co. would have fits if I sold eggs.. can you believe it? Too much liability...And they won't let you sell eggs at the farmers markets.

Its a hard thing when you try and balance food quality with common sense. The only time I've gotten food poisoning in the last 4 years was from a 'reputable' burger chain...never from any of our food. It grinds on me that there are hungry people in this community and I can't help them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...