Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Saturday, June 26, 2010

Public Service Annoucement #42

A word to the new chicken owners out there. If you find one or more of your hens like THIS:

Neither of these hens are harmed. They are just silly.

There is no need to run at her waving your arms and shrieking "HEN DOWN! HEN DOWN! MEDIC!!!!"

She's just fine... she's goosin' around in the sun trying to get the maximum sun exposure. They all do it. And if she is violently twitching all around... probably just a dust bath. Just go on about your business.. no need for alarm.

That is all.

This has been a Public Service Announcement by the Hysterical Hen Owners Association.

8 comments:

small farm girl said...

That is too funny! I say this because when I first saw one of my hens do this, I DID think she was sick, or that something had hurt her.lol

Lilac Cottage Homestead said...

You are too funny. I can see now that your site is going to be on my list of favorite sites to visit.

Kelly

Chai Chai said...

Good picture, looks like they are practicing for body surfing.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

When we first got our first chicks they were trying to give themselves a dust bath in their brooder and I thought for sure one was in the throes of death!

That little brown here - she is a Buff Brahma named Little Buff - got me a couple weeks ago. I thought she had been trampled by the goats! Nope, just goosin' around
:-)

Mr. H. said...

I had to laugh when I read this as it brought back memories of my wife and grandson coming to me in a panic about the chicken with the broken legs...it was just taking a dust bath.:)

Mimi said...

Too cute!

The son of backyard bunny was seen taking a dust bath yesterday. I'm in love. His name is Chester and he has white feet.

Chai Chai said...

HHOA, better copyright that - heck, folks may even begin sending you dues.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

good idea, CC! better go set up paypal!
;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...