Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Saturday, June 4, 2011

Of COURSE there was pie! Now with the recipe!

Of course, Chai Chai, there was pie! And yeah, I'm having it for breakfast right now.

Pie! Its what's for breakfast!

This is one of my favorite pies ever - its an "old fashioned" cheese cake pie topped with strawberries.  It's crowning glory - a strawberry glaze.

I got the recipe years ago when I was living in civilization on the Left Coast. Someone from this part of the country mailed me a box of things and the recipe was on a page of newspaper wrapping one of the items. At the time I thought, "Gosh what quaint little country recipe" and made it as a novelty item for my city friends Little did I know then that one day I'd be in my own country kitchen, eating a quarter of the pie for breakfast before I went out to milk goats and feed pigs and chickens.

Happy Saturday everyone! Now go and get some pie for breakfast!
====================
By popular demand.... here's the recipe. Quick! Go and pick some berries and make this pie!
Note: I only have a mention that this was Mrs. DeWitt's grandmother's recipe. Note that it requires time to cool and is best after its been well chilled in the fridge. Thanks Granny DeWitt!

Cream Cheese-Strawberry Pie

Cream Cheese Layer:
1  8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 unbaked 9 inch pie crust

Beat softened cream cheese until fluffy with an electric hand mixer. Gradually beat in sugar. Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each.  Gradually beat in milk and vanilla.

Pour into unbaked pie crust. Bake at 425* for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 400* and bake an additional 20 minutes, until set. Cool to room temperature.

Strawberry Layer
2 cups whole strawberries, cleaned
1/2 cup water
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar

6 additional cups of halved berries (or as many as you can fit on the pie!)

Puree whole, cleaned berries until very smooth. I use a hand blender. You should end up with about a cup of puree. Measure out a cup of puree and put in a small sauce pan. Separately, combine water and cornstarch - stir until smooth. Add to puree in sauce pan. Stir in sugar. Bring to a boil. Cook, while stirring, until it turns a glorious clear, red, thickened glaze. It will turn clear all at once - just keep stirring until it does.

Back to the pie.....

Mound as many berries (the six cups of halved berries) as you can onto the pie. Cover with the slightly cooled strawberry glaze so it covers all of the berries.  Chill in the fridge. Eat for breakfast.

Now if you really want to impress, Granny DeWitt says to top with freshly whipped, sweetened cream. Can you stand it? But for heavens sakes, use real whipped cream and not that tub-o'-non-dairy stuff.

Topping - optional
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Splash of vanilla

Just before serving  beat whipped cream until soft peaks, gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla. Pile on top of pie. Watch your guests swoon in pie amazement.

I think the topping is gilding the lily... but it never fails to bring cheers when brought to the table. Another great thing about this pie - you can substitute sliced peaches for the berries. I know, its amazing. The first time I made the peach version I had very low expectations thinking it would be bland. Not so. I even took to calling it "Devil Pie" because it led to sloth and gluttony. But you know, now that I work all day chasing chickens and planting beans, I could eat a whole one and still not gain an ounce. I can't wait for peach season!

Happy Pie Eatin'!!

12 comments:

Faith said...

I love your sense of humor...when you lived in civilization...hee heeeeeeeeeeeeee......exactly what I am trying to escape from..you are my hero....:) 1/4 pie you say...I have my cuppa here and will join you for 1/4, maybe we can polish it off before anybody else muscles in...looks good..Is it truly beautiful in the country this mornin? Do Tell..

Faith said...

you gonna share the recipe neighbor? Unless you want us all hornin in on your breakfast...of course...

Mary said...

Ok, I was reading your blog and the kids peeked and read what you were having for breakfast. Guess what they want now!!! I'll send them to your place. They said " mom can we have pie for breakfast too? Can you make us a pie?" Now the bar is set and I might actually have to cook! But the sun is out and soooo much to get done.

David P. Offutt - The Gastronomic Gardener said...

You're my hero. Pie for breakfast indeed! Got me thinking about trying to find a u-pick around here.

Anonymous said...

Don't I wish ! Looks like it will be sugar free yogurt with granola. Which,if I keep a good attitude, will be perfect !

Veggie PAK said...

As good as that looks, I know you're going to be posting the recipe...

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Hi Faith! Swing on in, baby, we'll getcha a big piece of pie. And recipe added!

Mary - tell them kids that Auntie OFG always serves pie for breakfast. Bring them by!

David, feel free to feature this on your cooking site! Hee hee.. your place looks great. Happy pie baking!

Kris - yogurt and granola is just like pie...hee hee hee. Good to see you baby!

VPak - done! Thanks for the prompt. Happy berry-ing!

Marianne said...

Now, what was your address again??
Yum!

Faith said...

thank you....for sharing...your recipe....:)

Veggie PAK said...

Wow! I just went to "Sufficient Self" that was listed on your blog. What a wealth of information! Thanks for sharing that!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

It sure looks delicious and I've copied the recipe! With the strawberries in season now is a good time to try the recipe..thanks for sharing.

Chai Chai said...

Can you substitute in goats milk? Thanks for the shout out, now I will be checking the mailbox for pie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...