Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mornin'!

What a beautiful morning!
What a wonderful sunrise!

The air conditioning is finally off, the windows are open, and wow the sun is shining!

Ginny - This is your little gal. She has "racing stripes" on her eyes. She's gonna be a beauty for sure.

I've got a busy day ahead but wanted to get some notes in and a quick update on our crazy hatch.  We now have a total of 15 (or sixteen?) chicks - all one or two days apart. I moved them our of their brooder and into a kiddie in the basement.

The mob. I love how they are all in a clump.

A kiddie pool is a great grow-out area for babies. They are cheap (this one was $9), easy to clean, provides a 'wind break' to keep the breeze out, and gives them plenty of space to run around. Yesterday I snuck up on them and they were all sprawled in all directions - kinda like someone threw a chick grenade and there was little chick shrapnel everywhere. They are just hilarious.

Monday we had three new arrivals - including this little guy. I had to help pip him out of his shell... but he's doing just fine. See that the pine bedding gets into everything. I put their waterer on a plastic lid and it keeps it much cleaner than this. I use empty cat food cans as feeders for these little ones.


Little Baldy is still their leader. Here he's making sure that the new arrivals are well supervised.

Planting notes for the square garden (sorry for the cryptic notes, folks, this is just a list so I remember):

Starting in the corner by the gate:
Sunflowers
Borage
Beets
Carrots
Swiss chard

Next to the far gate:
Beans + sunflowers

By bee balm:
Beats + radishes (??? dang, now I cant remember!)

Seedlings:
Broccoli + cabbage

Row nearest fence:
Butternut squash

Long row before raised bed:
Swiss chard
Carrots
Spinach


Happy Wednesday everyone!

3 comments:

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

I'm glad to see my little chick is doing nicely..bet she gives you a lot of eggs :o)

David P. Offutt - The Gastronomic Gardener said...

Amen of the change in weather. Finally able to open some widows here as well. Peep!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Ginny - your little one is just the dickens.

Hi David - can you believe this morning!?!?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...