Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Monday, August 27, 2012

Fall Planting and Shelling Beans

Someone asked me yesterday if there was still time for fall planting? Sure! There's always time for more planting.  As you know I've been planting turnips like crazy - and I'm also starting some frost-defiant and extra short season growers as well.

I harvested the potatoes in this bed a while ago and now its ready to be planted again.

Greens and radishes can do just fine in a short growing season. And they can be easily covered if we get an early frost. We'll see if the old wives tale about the cicadas is true - there could be a very early frost. Popular lore has it that the first frost will be 90 days after the cicadas start screaming.. I mean.. singing. Our weather guy had a segment on this earlier in the summer. And while their online story says "not to worry" I remember him saying on the newscast that its about "80% accurate."  If that's the case then mid-September could be very interesting around here.

A salad mix and radishes is just the thing to be planted now. Its low risk because all of the seeds were on end of season sale and if we get a couple salads? Super! And at worst I'll just loose a few things in the garden - but if so I'll just give them to the chickens and the pigz. We normally continue the harvest thru October tho so I'm not too worried.

This one $1 package of turnips has yielded about 167,000 turnip sprouts so far.

The Great Pepper War begins again today with hopefully the last round of salsa. But wow! The tomatoes are still coming on. With a rain day promised for today I'll be canning all day.

A lovely bean landscape.

After tomatoes and salsa, I've got some beans to can. I just love these horticulture beans. Not only are they just lovely - they are absolutely delish. I've been soaking a big pan of them in water - and a splash of whey - since last nite.

Now who's still planting for fall? Everyone canning today?  Happy Monday everyone!

9 comments:

freemotion said...

Hmmmmm....maybe this will be the year I actually plant fall lettuce!

becky3086 said...

I just cleaned out my tomatoes and am thinking about what to plant in their beds. Turnips would be a good idea but the last ones didn't do so hot in our garden. I need several trees cut so I can get more sun.

David said...

You're up early! Happy Monday!

Tami said...

I planted my fall starts (broc and cauli) this past week. Carrots, turnips, peas and lettuce are all up. Sowed my first mustard greens yesterday. My neighbor swear that they are "delish". We'll see...

darius said...

I shoud plant a fall garden despite repeated failures from critter infestations.

I love shelling beans!

Was it you who asked about the canning jars from China (Better Homes and Gardens brand)? I bought some, they hold up okay so far but the seal material on the rings lids is crappy, and tend to ooze out before they can seal. Plus, they won't seal using the FoodSaver jar attachment because the threads are wonky.

Provender Place said...

Thanks for the reminder! I think I can get some greens in on Saturday!!! My mind hasn't exactly been on gardening lately.

Unknown said...

I've got some squash and pumkins going, but that's all I'll do. It freezes hard here (Boise) and really cold winters, so I'd really need a green house...

JeffJustJeff said...

I am! I am! Lots of greens and root vegetables. The hoophouse WILL be finished for our fall/winter crop. Radishes are awesome. Most of them are ready in 25 days or so. You can even eat the greens when you thin them out in your salads. I planted a second round of tomatoes under the hoophouse frame. I'm hoping to extend their season just a bit along with some cukes. Chad and I both absolutely love roasted root vegetables and they're even sweeter if they're grown in the fall. YUM!

CallieK said...

Rainy here in Toronto too and yep, I was canning!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...