Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Peach-Pepper Jelly

Would you look at this!

Isn't it beautiful?  Peach jammy-jelly with beautiful flakes of spicy red pepper... and its delish!

I've been visiting my orchard friends getting baskets brimming full with peaches - all seconds and thirds for a bargain, of course. Most of the peaches become crisps to be enjoyed now or  frozen in smaller containers for later in the year - especially in winter. And I really love to make pie filling and freeze it for midwinter tastes-like-summer-treats.

My pal, over at the Gastronomic Gardener completely inspired me by a recent post to try something new. So I did. This peach pepper jelly is fabulous! I couldn't get enough the day I made it. I stood at the counter with crackers, fresh goat cheese and this spicy and sweet and fruity concoction thinking, "Why didn't I make this before?"

The recipe is a cinch. Mine is kind of jammy-jelly.. I couldn't bring myself to strain out the peach chunks so I just mashed it more and then added lovely red marconi peppers. They are just the right amount of heat for me.  And I couldn't bring myself to use that much sugar so I always use Pomona's pectin which lets you use less sugar or sugar alternatives.

Not only is this peach-pepper jelly great with crackers and cheese (cream cheese if you dont have chevre), but I can't wait to use it as a dippin' sauce when I make another round of jalapeno poppers. Or even as a glaze for a stunning pork roast.

Sometimes jams and jellies escape me but the options are limitless with this peachy-peppery delight.

Happy Wednesday everyone - are you all jammin' and jellying?


7 comments:

David said...

I'll definately be canning tonight - looks like tomato sauce and some sambal oelek

Linda said...

I started making pepper jelly about 2 years ago. Use a little honey if needed and a no-sugar-needed pectin. That stuff is so versatile and YUMMY!!!

Unknown said...

Are marconi peppers like Anahiems? Or?

Adorable Curmudgeon said...

Wow.
I'm gonna have to try making some of that.
Thanks!

Damummis said...

Ain't that purdy!

Quail said...

That looks yummy! Now I know what to do with my one ripe pepper.

Anonymous said...

WOW! slathering that all over a pork roast would be HEAVEN ! Thanks for the idea! I am gonna leave now and go to ECKERTS here in ILLinois and get some peaches !oh, and tonight iI will have a bowl of peaches w/suger and HEAVY cream. Thats the way my grandma always made it ! Bytheway, my granny also put strawberries over saltine crackers for us sssssoooo Gooooddd ! Of course she mashed them first and also put heavy cream on them too ! GOOD EATIN ! Todd

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...