Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Friday, February 1, 2013

A Fabulous Pancetta

Remember that shockingly beautiful belly piece we got from our last pork butcher day? It was naturally rolled which made it a candidate for a homemade pancetta.


After being cured in salt and spices the belly piece was wrapped in cheesecloth and hung in the basement. Technically it hung a little longer than it should have...but it turned out beautifully.



I've been using the pancetta in just about everything. It's a terrific base for a complicated bolognese, for a lovely chicken marsala, and for...well... bacon. Whatever I use pancetta for I always start with a cold pan so I can slowly render the fat. The spices used in curing the pancetta really come out and add an extra layer of flavor.

I'm pretty sure we are going to have chicken marsala again here pretty soon. And you can bet it will start with some of this pancetta.

Happy Friday everyone! Anyone else have some pancetta hanging?


1 comment:

David said...

That's really beautiful. The blade is nice too. Nothing like home curing to get my heart all a pitter-patter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...