Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Doesn't Matter - Got the Mole

She got it alright......

Kai and Zander spent about an hour digging a mole out of this spot the other day. It's a big hole....for a small mole. Doesn't matter - she got that mole and sent it to it's doom.

Now if they could only rid the back of the property of whatever was scratching on that tree from yesterday.....

The most popular guesses of what was making those scratches were:

* a bear
* some kind of big cat
* chupacabra

I'm really hoping its not a bear. It is a fact that I moved to Ohio because this state wasn't supposed to have any bears. So I hoping it was just a big squirrel. Or a raccoon. I'm still kind of freaked out and we are still going to do a lot of fencing.

Happy Tuesday everyone. Anyone else have mole killers on their team?


8 comments:

Mary Ann said...

We have the best in Kansas on our team, Lilly Ann... she can get a mole out of the ground in about ten seconds, throw it in the air, and have it dead before it hits the ground!

Weekend Cowgirl said...

Glad you have a "pest" team! We do not have those, but I see them in Montana and they are terrible. They dig big holes in pastures which is bad for the cows and horses...

Kelsie said...

I'm thinking those marks might have been made by a buck marking his territory. There's a deer-heavy area where I hike in the fall and winter, and all of the trees bear (sorry!) marks like this from the bucks rubbing their antlers along the bottoms of the trunks. Just a thought!

Misty Pines Homestead said...

I still think it was a bobcat myself.Alabama has been just about over run with the critters.And so much so brother told me that there is now a ban against hunting rabbits.

Horst in Edmonton said...

Hi OFG, those scratches on the tree could also be from a large member of the weasel family like a Martin.

Horst in Edmonton said...

I think I spelled Marten wrong in my last Comment.

David said...

no moles but an evil swarm of chipmunks. Hmmm the battle dogs vs alvin.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Good for Lilly Ann! Does she have a 'soft mouth'? I'm always surprised there isnt more carnage - but both Z and Kai just kind of mouth them to death.

We can tell who does and does not have a swarm of barncats around here, WCG, by the mole piles in their yard.

Thanks Kelsie! I'm hoping its not a bear. zoikes!

Ban on rabbit hunting! Wow we need more bobcats then - we are lousy with rabbits. My crack team of assassins usually takes care of the bunny menace.

Thanks Horst - we had a mink/weasel/marten attack earlier in the year so this sure makes sense.

In our case, Dave, the Alvin vs Dogs is a horror movie that ends badly for those loveable, squeaky voiced fellas. ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...