Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Monday, February 25, 2013

How to Treat Goat Polio

Lately I've gotten a lot of folks searching on how to treat goat polio so I feel like I should re-run this post. 


About this time of year, for whatever reason - I think because of the lack of free ranging, one of our goats is stricken with goat polio. We figured out pretty quick how to fix her up. Luckily we've always taken quick action and she seems to be OK. I have asked a lot of experienced goat people and they have said sometimes this just happens no matter what steps you take to prevent it. But still, it's pretty scary.

This can be a very serious issue and when I see people looking for information I always feel horrible because there is no way for me to contact them and ask them if their goat is alright. So if you are searching for how to treat goat polio and you need help, don't hesitate to leave a comment or send me an email.

As always there is a disclaimer...  I am not a vet. I don't play a vet on TV. I never wanted to be a vet. I am not diagnosing your goat now or ever. If you goat is sick, call your vet. Got it?

Everything I know about treating goat polio is here in this post. It includes simple remedies and a lot of links to online articles with tons of information. 

The most important thing is:  do not wait to take action. Giving your goat vitamin B1 is easy and cheap. The worst thing that will happen if you give her B1 is that your goat might be mad at you...and she probably will be... but the best thing that could happen is that you'll save her life.

Goat polio kills quickly so if you suspect it, or if she is showing some signs, take immediate action.  We give Debbie B1 if she is off her feed or acting funny. We don't "wait and see" or see if other symptoms develop.  You really can't overdose and what her body doesn't need will be excreted. So there is very little danger to your goat. The biggest danger is not doing anything.

You don't need fancy shots or a prescription. Just grab some regular Vitamin B1 tablets from your grocery store, crush them up, mix with a little water, and give it to your goat. You should see immediate improvement.

Obviously it would be best if you had a nearby vet to help you out...but we don't have that option. Goats never need emergency help on a Tuesday afternoon - it's always at the most inconvenient time. So be prepared and ready if this happens to your goat.


So far Debbie had been doing OK... but she'd rip off her own scur to get ahold of some fresh, green hay right about now. We can't wait for the weather to break and so everyone can get back outside. Here's to hoping winter comes to and end soon!

Happy Monday everyone! Are you prepared to treat your goat for polio?


5 comments:

Chai Chai said...

Funny you should post this today as I am currently treating on of my goats for goat polio too!

To avoid the nasty side effects of "ear loss" give your goats a clove of garlic immediately after the B1 shot.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

How are they doing, CC? And yes studies have shown that anti-vampire treatments can save ears from falling right off. ha!

Weekend Cowgirl said...

Good information to know and easy treatment!

Unknown said...

Thank you!!! I was wondering if I could crush!!! I don't have access to injections!!!!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

yep, easy peasy Lisha.
:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...