Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Friday, June 22, 2012

Garden Police Are Coming For You

Because an unemployed lady trying to grow her own groceries in her front yard is a crime.....


Do not think for a minute that this is a one time thing. Remember that Detroit incident last summer? The woman who put in a garden and was arrested?

Even if you aren't a conspiracy theorist you just can't believe that all of this is just about code violations. Private production of your own food is in the cross hairs. Stay vigilant, people. Don't fall for the lie that only "professionals" can, or should, grow food. We could end some, if not all, of the hunger problems in this country if everyone had a little garden and a few chickens in their yard. It used to be the patriotic thing to do. Now its a crime? Its something to think about.

In the meantime, you might want to all start working on fencing projects lest your neighbors decide that your garden is ugly and want to cut it down. You'll remember that I have experience with this.

I hope this woman sues the pants of the city, then drives her big luxury car she'll get with her big winnings directly over the neighbor who reported her, and gives them the finger.

Happy Friday everyone.

11 comments:

Joy Tilton said...

Sad, she was truly growing the herbs she needed for medicine. Those workers that took that into their own hands that day were the ones at fault but the city is responsible for their actions. I think she will win the battle, but for now her plants are gone and that is just wrong. Lots of things wrong with this world anymore.

Damummis said...

Holy Crap!! That made my blood boil!! You want to see how good a shot I am? Bring it. Go ahead, mess with my food.

Robin said...

It's out of control! Just let someone try to stop me from growing my own food!!!

David said...

I don't think the food police is at the level of Tulsa city inspectors.... yet. I she was targeted. she's had problems inthe past, she's black, and was unemployed. I dare say there are gardens in Tulsa that don't get messed with.

Move to the boonies, get big dogs, put up a fence - oh, you did that....

Susan said...

Oh, for heaven's sake. And she should be able to make the nimrod who reported her replant her garden. On her/his hands and knees with a kitchen teaspoon. Oooh that just p's me off. There is nothing scarier than putting the 'law' in the hands of idiots. Vigilant, indeed.

Bec - Farmers Wife said...

No way!!! I can't believe that this could happen or is at all possible, little lone legal.....

I have read and indeed spoken with older folk that have said after/during the war their backyards were the source of their food.

texomamorganlady said...

Okay, I do not understand this at all! When we were military in a picturesque little German town, every front yard in the neighborhood was full of flowers and vegetables. They had lawn in the back, and the front yards were gorgeous! I have seen several similiar stories lately, have we, as a nation, lost all common sense?

dragonlaurel said...

Sing it sista! They need to mind their own business.

Someday they may learn the value of her. I hope a smart lawyer tells her to find the landscape/nursery center value of all her pants and submit that to the city as a bill. Then sues if they don't pay.

There is also a criminal case here. The judge said he would decide on it in October. Whoever ordered the yard cleared was in contempt of court.

Unknown said...

Its said, but I didn't think your conspiracy theory was crazy, its is all too possible that big seed/fert/ag companies are behind this, all the more reason to fight for our right to garden!

collieguy said...

Over my cold, dead compost!

Bring it on more poetry slam! Bureucrat brains all lard and ham they rounds up gardeners toss em in the poke, giggle while enforce some legal joke.

Stoney Acres said...

Stories like this just make me angry. I will admit that we confine most of our vegetable gardening to the back yard for this very reason. I think our neighbors would come unglued if they saw a tomato plant in our front yard. Why can't people just learn to mind their own business!!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...