Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Friday, July 27, 2012

And now back to summer.....

Did everyone enjoy the rain? After the storm front passed we got a lovely rain for several hours last nite. And despite an intensely thundery storm, we didn't have any wind damage. Only a few folks lost power but mostly we got off easy.

After the storm.. now back to summer... and summer food... goat cheese, basil, and 'maters.

This storm was not a derecho, like the one we had about a month ago,  but was moving much slower - about 35 mph with winds up to 55mph. Fortunately all my huge sunflowers - and my tall corn - survived. And everything loved the nice, gentle, soaking rain. We may get more today - and that's just fine with us.

Turnips - planted tons of them on the 25th.

The rain was perfect timing with all the turnip planting I did on Wednesday. I also planted carrots and beets - mostly mangles which are the livestock beets. We'll see if they can get to size before our first frost - I might just get them grown in time. If its dry enough to prep the beds, I have one last section to plant today. It was pretty weedy so I had to till it a couple times. I'll plant even more turnips and more beets.  With my bad soil this is the first year I've been able to get them to grow well.

After all this time I finally got a mangel beet to grow! These are primarily used for livestock feed.

Now that our big storm threat is over we can all get back to summer. I'm just glad that I don't have to run the sprinklers this morning. With all my extra time I made a stunning hash for breakfast this morning.

Happy Friday everyone! Do we all have Olympic fever? Opening ceremonies are tonite!


5 comments:

KatB said...

Okay, sorry if this is a double comment, but my previous one disappeared...

I was just reading an agricultural bulletin from 1903 on Wednesday that recommended farm wives plant mangels in their family vegetable garden. I'd never heard of mangels, and found this page of discussion of recipes and people uses for them: http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/general-homesteading-forums/homesteading-questions/93144-cooking-mangels.html

A Healing Reality said...

those tomatoes look delicious :)

David said...

Looks like one of those mandrake root things in HP

Chai Chai said...

Are you sure it isn't lobster?

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Hi Kristen! thanks for the link and no worries about the double post. they both showed up here. the greens from the mangels are just beautiful! for most of the early summer i thought they were chard and used them as such. didnt' hurt the growth of the tuber and they tasted great.

hey MexH! yep the maters are doing spectacularly this summer.

ha! Dave, these babies will grow to be 2 feet! can you believe it!?

Could be a rock lobster, CC, we'll see how crazy they get.
;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...