Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Sunday, July 3, 2016

Me and the mower.......

This happened..... apparently the mower and I have a failure to communicate.  Don't worry, I got the big hammer and fixed it. Again.

So, you wanna, dance, mower? Fine. Let's do this thing...

Yesterday hubs and I spent two straight hours mowing. Both of us, at the same time, with dueling push mowers. While the yard looks better....and the big hill down to the pond low looks like a charming, park-like setting... I hate the mower. I hate mowing. Having grass is stupid.

One of my goals in life is to never spend another valuable moment of my life mowing again... or maybe have only enough grass that it only takes about 15 minutes with a push mower to mow.

I went on a significant rant about the folks around here and their unnatural devotion to mowing here.

It's just stunning to me. There are hungry people in our community but the nearest biggish town doesn't even have a community pea patch or garden. On the way into town you can see yards that are several acres.... all in perfectly mowed grass. I would think that people would have something more important do do with their time.

Are there fruit trees? Regular trees? Interesting shrubbery? Nope. Can't mow under a tree so all the houses around here look like they were randomly dropped on a putting green. I just think it's weird. With every single step all I can think about is how I'll never get that time back..... so me and the mower continue our fight.

And before anyone says it, I will save you the trouble. NO! The goats do not get out there and evenly trim the grass down to an acceptable level. At this point Debbie and Nibs are on a Performance Improvement Plan as neither of them are even grazing the bramble. So everyone who is a ruminant is in trouble.

Me on the other hand..... me and the mower will continue to fight about it.

Happy Sunday, everyone! Are you wasting your time and money mowing? Do you hate it also?


5 comments:

Vera said...

What about a couple of sheep? They will graze the grass. Then you could learn to spin the fleece, .....and eat the meat.....or else you could get a cow or two!

Cottontailfarm said...

Can't you modify some of those manual reel mowers the Amish use, hook them to harnesses and teach the dogs to pull them around the yard? You and Nicholas could supervise from the deck. Done.

Unknown said...

Ah, I see the problem. It's supposed to be used to cut grass, not split wood. :)

collieguy said...

Need the post cutting attachment for what you're trying to do there. Mower looks like it's been to WWI.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

sheep are a possibility, Vera...

CTF, that would be such a fabulous solution!!

it totally looks like some kind of multi-tool, Gerald...

i cant understand, collieguy, why hubs wont buy me a new mower...ha!
:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...