I am Ohiofarmgirl. I live on a small kinda-organic farm in the Midwest. Married to The Big Man, we have a busy little barnyard and 15 acres of fun. We don’t farm for profit – we farm for us in the most self-sufficient, sustainable way we can. Are we eco-nuts or survivalists? Nope, just regular folks who wanted to do something other than have a work-a-day life.
Why do we do this? Why the hell not? Farming is a great way of life – but not always a great way to make a living. We want to do this now while we still have the time and energy for the long days, the hard work, and having the weather and the seasons as our only boss. We gave up a lot of must have’s to live like this but we don’t regret it. Maybe one day we’ll go back to civilization but for now, we are enjoying every minute.
I love these question games so here is a little about me. Besides, what are you gonna do? Work? Ha!
1. Name? Ohiofarmgirl or OFG or ohio.. whatever just dont call me late for dinner especially if we are having bacon
2. Gender? Female
3. What is your favorite color? Blue
4. How much do you weigh? Normal - changes a little and depends on summer or winter....
5. How tall are you? Short
6. Can you swim? Yep, like a fish. Open ocean please.
7. What's on your mouse pad? Don’t have one. My laptop is in my 'command center' in the kitchen... so I guess it’s the kitchen counter???
8. Favorite board game? Not a big game person. But my favorite way to pass the time is being the duckling lifeguard. Seriously – what’s cuter than baby ducks splashing around in a little wading pool?
9. Favorite magazine? I loooove magazines.... Small Farm Journal is a fav.. I like the idea of being a farm pirate arrggggg....
10. Favorite Actor? Actress? Whatshisname / i think they are mostly interchangeable
11. Do you have an accent? Shhh... depends on where I am. I can 'sure 'nuf' and 'aint that right' one minute and 'dude' the next when I’m out on the Left Coast
12. Favorite smells? Coffee. and one of my cats. I cant help it – she smells really good to me so I’m always sniffing her. Is that weird?
13. Least favorite smells? I'm allergic to almost anything scented...and then there is the whole stinky pig thing.
14. Favorite sound? Happy baby turkey poults...the peeping slays me....
15. Pencil or pen? Typing
16. Would you like to own a motorcycle? The Big Man has one. I'm more of a truck girl
17. Do you sing in the shower? Nope but I sing almost everywhere else. Badly. And Loudly.
18. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? Get.Off.Me. (insert variety of cat's names here) or "time to make the donuts"
19. How many rings before you answer the phone? I dont answer the phone.
20. How do you want to die? With a great story in a huge spectacle - preferably involving the circus, fireworks, and possibly a rogue elephant
21. Have you ever called a 900 number? Nope
22. Would you ever go bungee-jumping? Nope. Terra firma, please
23. Do you like dressing up? No. I dont even have any nice clothes anymore. Anything I own has to be poop-proof and comes off the bargain rack at Old Navy
24. Do you enjoy reading? Yep
25. What book are you reading now? Small scale grain raising... I told my sis I got my CORN book and she thought I said 'porn book,' for heaven’s sakes.
26. Favorite books? I'm a fool for any historical fiction about the roman empire
27. What was the last movie you saw? Movie? Who gets to go movies???
28. Favorite movies? Raising Arizona, anything with Vin Diesel except that duck one...
29. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? No there are too many real cats in the bed!
30. What is your sign? The cross
31. What are your personality traits? I pass the smart guy test, probably have too much sass, will give just about anybody a ticket on the f*%! you train, but I can quote scripture, have a traditional marriage, and get all soft over baby ducks.
32. What's your biggest fear? That I left the oven on
33. Would you ever have cosmetic surgery? No way! I'm drooping all the way to the grave
34. Future child's name? Moby Obadiah
35. Favorite foods? Chocolate, coffee, tequila...occasionally combination of any two or possibly all three
36. Chocolate or vanilla? chocolate
37. Do you like to drive fast? Yes but only in the big farm truck when I'm chasing down the Prius that cut me off. The NRA sticker kinda scares them.
38. Storms - cool or scary? Non-tornadic storms - ok. Weathermen screaming “it’s coming its coming take cover” ....not so much
39. Do you like to dance? I'm a maniac in the hen yard. On the occasion of Michael Jackson's death we all did the thriller dance..the hens rocked it.
40. Do you do drugs? Heavens no
41. Do you smoke? Never
42. Do you drink? Drinkin' right now.
43. Favorite drink? Booze? Tequila. Otherwise - coffee. Strong coffee. Preferably in Paris avec un petit pot de creme...
44. Do you think men and women could ever be just friends without wanting each other? I guess it depends on the situation. My husband is a big red neck so none of my guy-buddies treat me like anything but a sister.
45. Do you eat the stems of broccoli? Yep!
46. If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be? I'm doing it! Farming! They only way this could be any better is if I were a coffee farmer in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii
47. What's your "type"? White t-shirt, ain’t afraid to work, unaltered fully intact man. Nothing plucked waxed or highlighted, never will have a manicure, ever. High and tight haircut done by a barber not a stylist. Eats meat, drinks beer. Has a dog, drives a truck and yeah, there is a gun in it. Walks in a door and fills it. All other men look at him and wonder if they could take him in a fight, stands in the gap. Voice so deep elephants on the other side of the world hear it, but never raises it to me, melts when the kitten snuggles him. Thinks I’m funny after all this time. Will never allow harm to come to me our ours thru action or inaction. Fears the Lord but gives everybody else a run for their money. That’s The Big Man. I am the luckiest girl in the world.
48. Do you bite your nails? Are you kidding me? With all this chicken poo under my nails? No.
49. Any siblings? Younger sister and younger brother
50. What movies have you cried in? The end of The Chronicles of Riddick
51. Do you believe in God? Always
52. Have you ever stolen anything? Nope. I don’t do small crimes. If I’m goin’ down it will be for something big
53. Do you procrastinate? Let me think about that and get back t you....
54. Who's your favorite Sesame Street character? Bert. I think he's largely misunderstood
55. What is your favorite kind of music? Country or praise and worship
56. What are your favorite bands/artists? Trace Adkins, Montgomery Gentry, Toby Keith
57. MTV or VH1? Listen, we get 4 TV channels during the day and 3 at nite. None of them have videos on them
58. Who do you admire the most? My grandma
59. Favorite TV show? Any of the dancing shows, crime drama, and wow I really like Fringe right now. Catching up on Burn Notice and Rescue Me
60. Glasses or contacts? Glasses
61. What color are your eyes? Bluish grey
62. What is your natural hair color? Brown
63. But what color is it now? Brown with a few grays
64. Have you ever been in love? Currently!
65. Any pets? 3 dogs, The Insane Cat Posse..and all them critters out in the barnyard
66. Good, decent, or poor grades? Excellent. I'm an over achiever. Not that it does me any good in the farming thing
67. Is the glass half empty or half full? Full - but right now it needs more tequila
69. What's under your bed? Cats
70. What is your favorite number? 3
71. Favorite sport to watch? Synchronized swimming
73.Significant other's name? Honey or The Big Man
74 .What kind of car do you own? 2 ford trucks, used to be 3... but now down to two
75. Messy or neat? Neater than before, basically still a disaster. But I can find everything. Flylady.net helps me stay organized.
76. Did you go to college? Yep! U of Washington
77. Do you work? My butt off!! I just don’t get paid. We have the joke that he has the job but I'm the one that works! Now, however, he's off work and he's my favorite employee. OK he's my only employee. OK the dog, technically, is my favorite employee but The Big Man does a good job too.
78. Weirdest job? Selling phone services to business customers. I had the worst boss ever so I gave him the finger and quit. And then, I understand I got him fired somehow.... hum...that was some exit interview.
79.How old are you? 42? 43? I dunno... is it an odd or an even numbered year??
80. Personal motto? “Hard work and discipline.” Or “Mas tequila, por favor!”
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
A brief introduction.....
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Well, well, well.......we seem to have lots in common. Our taste in men, the fact that we both have good ones, and our attitude seems to be pretty much the same.....I knew I liked you for a reason!
I'm going to steal the f*youtrain.....I like that, and I'm not proud to say that's like one of my favorite words, and my husband can't speak without sayin' it..............
hee hee hee I figured we'd be about the same. hey - why dont you do the 100 questions?? its totally fun!
Ok, we don't really have a lot in common. I mean, i prefer vanilla ice cream. But i do have a Good Neighbor. And it did just take me way too long to write this comment because i had to chase the cat out of the bathroom. He's fascinated by the baby chickens living in my bathtub...
Fun blog ; )
Hey Julie! Actually I like double vanilla... so lets count that as "same" also! Keep an eye on those cats and chicks! If only the Insane Cat Posse could get thru that door to the chicks....
Greetings from San Jose. I'm a former Adobe employee, so you and I have that in common. My daughter is a Vegitarian and my son eats bacon everyday, and I just love reading about a different life style from the one here in Silicon Valley...so your blog has bits for our whole family.
Hey Relick! San Jose?? Stop by the E&O and have a pomegranate margarita for me.
I reckon that college education is pretty useful for farming. My dad keeps saying that I'd waste my PhD being a farmer, but its really helps to be able to research and understand what's going on in the soil and how to look after the animals. I read something on the The Agrarian Nation blog about how in the old days they used to send the dumb kids to college and keep the smart ones to run the farm :)
Farmer Liz, actually your engineering degree will probably really help. I do problem solving all day long.
Post a Comment