Things are booming! A few quick pix and some farm notes...
Sweet Miss Duck on her nest:
She is a great broody... its amazing how she goes into a 'zen-duck' state and just sits. While Miss Dash is happy to get up, take a bath, and wander around, Miss Duck just sits. I'll start making her get up at least once a day, but mostly that just agitates her.Sadly tho, I'll need to take a few of her eggs so we aren't entirely over run. I'm also going to put the meat chicken eggs under Miss Dash when she decides to put her fluffy bottom down. I have to fill her nest gradually tho - that Dash, she's one smart cookie and will know if I'm trying to pull the wool over her eyes.
Bees! The are buzzing.. great shot of them hard at work:
And check out Runner watching over "her" babies! She sits quietly beside them during the day and we let her set on them at night. And I broke down and got a few more chicks at TSC....I don't know if she didn't notice or just didn't care that there were some new faces, but everyone is doing great. I put a little apple cider vinegar in the peep's water this morning tho. Its a good way to keep any bacteria from growing in their gut. Sometimes store chix are stressed while momma hatched chix seem to do a better job of fending off any illness. Humm. maybe we'll talk about that also in a later post.
* Not to be hatin' but so that I have a record.. more problems with the neighbor's and their dog. The dog wasn't just coming over here - he was chasing the poultry. And their bonfire/party with all their rowdy friends lasted until 4am. We know what time they left because, while we could drown out the music and the noise with a fan, when they started laying on their vehicle horns as they were all speeding out of the drive... well that woke us up. And the neighbors on the other side weren't very happy either. After they were all partied out I'm sure the new/bad neighbors appreciated us all letting them know that the decent folks around here get up early. Very early. Sometimes you just have to chase the gander around in the morning. Wow.. that OD.. he's loud. Golly. Hope I didn't wake them up!
* So I missed church again - there was no way we could leave the property unattended with their turkey-chasing-dog - and got 2 more rolls of field fence. We put up over 800 ft of it over the weekend. And now it looks like we'll be doing a survey on that side as well. We believe their camp fire in on our side.
* On the upside the dinner chix are going to be moved to the outside coop today. They need more room and frankly they are creeping me out. Putting their feed down for them is like putting your hand in a piranha infested river.
* Got the buckwheat planted in the upper gardens and watered in...should be fully grown out in 30 days!
* Working on getting the little skip-poppers weaned from Debbie. I milked her out early so the little ones will have to eat grain and hay. The neighbors said they would take Gilly soon.
* Still nothing from Nibbles.. she was acting like something was up, but then nothing. I don't even think she's faking but she'd better get with the schedule.. we need those babies to arrive soon!
And that's the update! Happy Tuesday everyone!