Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Sunday, May 23, 2010

Whatcha Readin?

I love that some of the folks who visit here have book lists on their blogs... or like The D Family.. they have their reading list on the front page. I guess I should start a booklist somewhere but I'm too busy reading to do it! (just kidding)

One of the magazines I love but don't always see on the "usual suspect lists" (Hobby Farms, Mother Earth News, etc)  is The Small Farmer's Journal. They've started an online publication, but there's nothing like getting that big, brown paper covered magazine in the mail to make your day.

It may be over-looked because its not flashy like some of the others, and they do cater to some specific folks (those who farm exclusively with horses) and also to the Amish, but wow - so much good information. And lots to think about. I have to admit I don't subscribe to all of their political views... but Lynn, the editor, is a very knowledgeable man. And very thoughtful. I also likes that he, and the other writers, tend toward the "old timey" way of doing things.

Sometimes they publish old agricultural journal articles where I learned, for instance, that everyone used to finish their dual purpose chickens on milk and corn before butchering...and not the high-protein-who-knows-exactly-whats-in-it-but-more-than-likely-its-soy-bagged food that the creepy meat chickens require.

They also publish success stories and how folks got started. And heck, they like to refer to themselves as farm pirates and how cool is that?  Arrrrrggggg... give me an eye patch and slap a chicken on my shoulder and I'm in, maties!

To be sure, its a pricey subscription but you just might want to check it out.

I'm also about to order "How To Grow More Vegetables...." by John Jeavons. As usual, I checked it out from the library before I bought it to make sure it was something that I'd really use. I really liked it. He has great info and even better yet, garden plans that considers crop rotations and companion planting strategies.

What else you readin'?

4 comments:

Claire MW said...

I'll have to look up that magazine. It sounds interesting! At the moment, I'm reading the latest issue of "The English Garden" magazine, which is my bedtime reading, as well as the latest issue of "Fine Gardening." I'm reading my textbook in Animal Law for the course I'm taking, and when I have a little free time (?!) I am reading "The Girl Who Played with Fire" by Stieg Larsson, which is the second in a trilogy of novels.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

The only problem I have with reading farming/gardening before I go to sleep is that I farm all nite in my sleep....and get up exhausted!

I love an english-style garden!

Weekend Cowgirl said...

I am starting "The Help". I don't take any magazines, but my good friend takes tons of them and brought me a huge load to read! I am in heaven...

Ohiofarmgirl said...

hey WC! someone else I know read The Help, hope you enjoy it!

Lots of my friends are in bookclubs but wow, I just don't know where I'd find the time. Golly if I could just get the dogs to read to me while I work...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...