Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Saturday, October 9, 2010

He made turkey while I was gone

As I type this I have turkey baby in my shirt. You'll remember that the best place for a new baby is in your bra. As before, gentlemen go and find your woman for this task.

I kinda chuckled when the new parents of a preemie baby told me that the revolutionary treatment of "kangaroo care" for little ones is to lay them on the parents bare chest.  This helps stablize the baby's vitals (breathing, heartbeat, etc). Heck.. any farmer knows you can do this...but anyway... he's very happy there. The poult that is.

When I got home from "civilization" - The Big Man rushed out and told me that he made turkey while I was gone. I would have never believed it unless I saw it for myself:


Can you believe it??

Our turkey hens had a disastrous hatching season... we only have 2 poults to show for dozens of eggs and many failed clutches. So when the turkey hens kept laying we figured we didn't have anything to lose... so The Big Man fired up the incubator and put in some eggs. I did not think it would work and I'm glad to see I was wrong!

We have another little pal down there pippin' away... he's working his way out of the shell. See his little beak working that shell? They have a tiny little "egg tooth" that helps with the pipping but its hard work.


When not in my shirt the hatched little singleton is popping around in the incubator. He can hear his pals in the eggs..and they can hear him so it stimulates them to come on out and see The Whole Wide World. As soon as the next little pal gets out of the shell and dries off I'll move them to a brooder. But one is a lonely number so our little buddy can just keep cheering on his egg-mates until more arrive.

How's that for a great surprise?

Happy Pippin' Saturday everyone!

4 comments:

Mama Mess said...

Glad to hear that your turkeys are hatching! Hope all is well with your emergency! God bless and have a great rest of the weekend!

Mr. H. said...

A couple of proud new parents, very good. Congrats on a beautiful baby turkey.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks Mr. H! I'm always thrilled to see nature in action. Sometimes I can't believe it works!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks GW, more hatching pix as we go along!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...