Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Thursday, May 5, 2011

Bucket of milk and Sunshine!

It was actually sunny today - we couldn't believe it. But you can believe that we ran right out there to get as much work done as possible.


Today started with a lovely bucket of milk. This was from Debbie and she wasn't even done yet. The bucket got so full I had to go in the house and strain it and THEN go back and finish milking her. Thanks Deb!

We fired up the lawnmower and I cut down the weeds as much as possible. I got a lot done but no one hates mowing more than I do. So I took the opportunity to get the tiller out also and scratch up some of that hated grass. I replanted these areas so they can be useful and not just green.

So that I remember what was planted where.. please bear with me with these overly detailed notes... The area south of the drive was a mix of oats, sunflowers, and buckwheat. This seed mix was from last year so I hope that it works.  The area up on the hill by the little trees was planted in white clover and sunflowers. The black oil sunflowers were from last year, but they should still be viable.

I also tilled up a row directly below the pasture mix for potatoes. If the rain holds off tomorrow we can get them planted.

In the barnyard Nibbles, who needs a hoof trim, reclined like Cleopatra. Here she is saying, "Get me some alfalfa or else!"  Sorry, Nibs, no one is cutting hay just yet.

She actually did her part today by helping us finish up the fencing for the small pig yard. Before we could run the electric wire Nibbles and Debbie got in the pen and ate all the weeds down. Thanks ladies!

Hope everyone had a great day! Happy Thursday!

6 comments:

Faith said...

OH, I AM SO HAVING FRESH MILK ENVY....DO YOU MAKE BUTTER WITH THE CREAM? I AM CLOSE TO THE FARM AS I CAN BE, I BUY MILK AT OUR LOCAL ACME FROM A LOCAL OHIO FARM IN GLASS BOTTLES....IT IS SO GOOD AND HAS A GOOD BIT OF CREAM IN IT AS WELL...SUCH A JOY FOR ME...I DON'T MIND HAULING THE GLASS BOTTLES BACK...THAT IS MY LOTTERY MONEY SO WE CAN BUY A PIECE OF LAND AND GET A MILK COW TOO,,,HEE HEE, A BUNNY, AND SOME YARD BIRDS.....OH THE JOY....

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

That's a lot of cheese making you have there :o) that looks good to me...I think we all were busy bee's today..it was perfect outside, sunshine and a little wind to cool one off while they worked...I even got my fat butt into gear :o)

JeffJustJeff said...

The sun was glorious. Unfortunately, I spent most of the day in school. We've decided to give up on mowing and just wait and cut hay. Our riding lawnmower took one look at the grass out here and keeled over and died. Hopefully, we'll get a new suitable one tomorrow. I did enjoy what little time I got in the sun.

Cheers,
Jeff

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Hey Faith! Yep fresh milk is delish! Its harder to make cream with goat's milk than it is with cow's. Which is why I dream of dairy cows also!

Ginny, with all that work you do, you put us all to shame! I was thinking of you yesterday - we had a perfect sunshine day.

Jeff - update your blog, man! I can't wait to get the "grand tour" of your new place!

Allie said...

I have SUCH goat envy!You should hear me talk about goats to my husband; "Well, OFG said on her blog today..."
I also dream of dairy cattle, well not just the cows but the Ice cream and the butter they can provide me with.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Hi Allison! Yep there is nothing better than fresh milk - you gotta getcha some of these goats. And a cow.
;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...