Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Farm notes and lemon bars

We've had a couple dry-ish days so I've been getting as much done in the garden as possible. But before we get to the Farm Notes, I just gotta show you these lemon bars!


These are perfect in every way - lemony and delish!

I can't take any credit for these luscious bars. My Pal, Bourbon Red, who is a master chef as well as Farm Master, gave me the recipe. He claims this recipe came from the back of a flour bag. There is no way.. I think angels flew down from heaven and whispered this winner in his ear. So in his own words...

Heavenly Lemon Bars

For base, mix:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter
until crumbly. Press into a 13x9 inch pan- across the bottom and maybe a half inch up the sides.
Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes till light golden brown.

Custard Filling
[NOTE: Do not make the topping until just before the base is done or just after you take it out of the oven.]
Beat together:
4 eggs - I used 2 duck eggs and 2 hen's eggs
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup lemon juice

When the base is 'light golden brown' pour the freshly mixed filling into it and return it to the oven and bake for 20 minutes till the top is light golden brown and not so jiggly.

[Note: my oven is notoriously slow.. but these finished really fast. I start checking it at 15 minutes.]

Cool completely.

Dust with powdered sugar.

Note: That whole "cool completely" stuff is a buncha hooey... we didn't wait at all and they were perfect.

Farm notes
* Planted rhubarb and strawberries
* Weeded front garden
* Planted swiss chard under maple tree
* Planted dahlias, onions, swiss chard, radishes, sweet peas along front garden fence
* Planted Roma tomatoes in upper garden in small square plot and by Golden Grimes tree
* Planted Scarlett Runner beans and cowpeas along east fenceline
* Planted onions in runner's garden
* Started basil seeds in 2 small pots

Remember when I started the asparagus seeds? They totally worked!

In livestock news....
* Penny, our old momma goose, is setting her nest for sure. She rarely gets up and looks happy.
* Turkey Momma or Bramble (one of the turkey hens) is setting a nest in the turkey house. I've been closing her in the nest box at night and letting her be alone in the turkey house during the day.
* My little duck, Happy, quit her nest today. I think one of the drakes was bothering her. Miss Duck continues to set on a mismosh collection of who know's what. Several of the hennies think they should set nests and I hope to get one to stay down.
* Pigz are doing well. They seem happy and are drinking a lot of milk. They don't seem to be interested in the corn or calf manna. But they'll eat it soon enough. They've also already done a great job of rooting around their new pen.

Cheese notes:
I started a feta on Monday, it set up well and I'm hoping it will be as good as batch #1. Batch #2 seemed to be a bit soft. I stirred the curds for Monday's batch for longer (almost 30 mins) and let it set in the mold for longer.

Batch #1 is really good. I've been mixing it with kalamata olives from the deli and letting them swim around together. One nite that's all I had for dinner.

Happy Wednesday everyone!

6 comments:

Robin said...

Those lemon bars look heavenly! I make them from a recipe in the old Betty Crocker's cookbook. I'll have to compare the recipes.

Mr. H. said...

I could have used a couple little pigs the other day while tilling up a large patch of sod...bet they would have the whole thing turned over and fertilized in less than a month. Those bars look good...mmm.

Sara said...

Gosh, I'm gonna go home and make lemon bars. They look sooo good! I use Pioneer Woman's recipe. Which is a bit different than yours.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Hi Robin! I'm happy to say the pan has been emptied. Yum!

Mr H - they do such a great job and no carbon footprint! Stop on by and I'll make you some more lemon bars - served up with some ice cold, fresh milk.

Sara - I hadnt thought to check PW, isnt she great?

Anne Eston said...

those lemon bars look just like my mom's!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks Robin! These are the only non-chocolate snack I really love.

Mr. H - they'd have it done in a hot second. Pigz are good little workers...just thing thing for you!
;-)

Hi Indigo Girl! Tell your mom she makes GREAT lemon bars!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...