Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Monday is brought to you by the letter "M"

Monday has been a long day. The storms from Missouri blew thru here a couple hours ago. Not long ago (I'm writing this late on Monday nite) the dogs and I were hiding in the basement. So today's post is brought to you by the letter "M"...

Gravel = mud control.

MAN! What a wind! Luckily the storm front had wound down to just strong winds...they were predicting 70 mph winds and I wouldn't be surprised if we reached those speeds.We're all clear here but most of this week will be stormy.

Mud Control. Yep. Me, a shovel, and the wheelbarrow for most of Monday afternoon. Gravel is my new best friend. I'm so tired of slogging around in the mud that I'm building pathways thru the barnyard.

Momma! My little duck friend hatched at least one baby today - hopefully there will be more little faces tomorrow.

Pigs love milk.

MMMMmmmmm.... The bacon is looking great! Look how long these porkers are getting. And they are loving the milk.

Happy Tuesday everyone! Keep a weather eye to the sky in this severe weather season!

10 comments:

Autumn said...

On Monday, we had a terrible 5 minute storm. (It was a tornado cloud that was not a tornado yet.) There's quite a bit of mud around here too! I'm betting that most of June, all of July, and then August up until the last week is going to be dry.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear you got those crazy Missouri storms (I'm even sorry Missouri got them, honestly)
but I'm happy to hear you're ok and dealing with the mud successfully.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Autumn - most of the old timers say that as soon as it quits raining there will be drought for the rest of the summer. Stay safe in the weather!

Allie - those poor folks in Mo. really got a beating. We are watching the radar all day today again.

Sara said...

That was crazy weather last night. Glad ya'll are good. It looked terrible to the south and north of us, and our little town just got a little drenching, a little lightening and some wind. We must've been in the lee of the storm. Is that the right word?

Pigs are looking good!

Mr. H. said...

Glad that you all were able to make it through the storm OK...sounds like some pretty nasty weather.

I think I see smiles on those little pigs faces as they are gulping up all that milk...you should name them Hansel and Gretel...ha ha.

Your girl is doing great on DWTS...I can hardly believe she is 60 years old...amazing. Have an excellent day!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

That must have been a scary time..be safe...

Mrs.Weeb said...

I feel your pain with the rain. I was out digging an emergency ditch during that lovely storm myself.I went out to check on the goats and water was funneling down the drive right into our barn and pooling in the goat pens! My girls have since requested a conference with Ms. Nibbles on how to be more appreciated and keep from suffering such indignities in the future.

Did you see the recipe Leener's posted on their FB page?... http://www.creative-culinary.com/maple-bourbon-bacon-jam/ I totally thought of you as soon as I saw it! I'm drooling just at the name of it :o)

Heiko said...

We've been having a drought for the last 6 or 7 weeks already. I was hoping for Ernie and Bert commenting on the letter M when I saw the title of your post! M for.... mint humbugs! Keep safe down in that basement.

Faith said...

Here in our neck of the wood NE Ohio, we had some bad business thru here last night as well...we were prepared to vacate to the basement..I have seen worse storms in my life around here..I wonder sometimes if they don't give you too much info....or too many look outs here it comes...I'm glad you are ok, ours was also about 5-10 wit alot of rain and hail..

Chai Chai said...

I am jealous of your red pickup truck, I have to make do with a mini van.

Happy to hear you are safe. I'm sure the cats were scoffing at the dogs cowering in the basement from the top of the stairs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...