Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Thursday, May 26, 2011

More on Taters - now THAT'S a seed potato

The last couple days have been a little cagey with all this weather. Yesterday we scampered to get everyone safe and then the storms went around us (thank heaven!). But I didn't get to write my post about "How to Save A Million Dollars." Instead, I bring you a 2 minute, slammed out post on potatoes.

Now THAT'S a seed potato!

In between watching the weather radar like a hawk and trying to convince family and friends on the West Coast that I wasn't gonna die....and hoping it was true.... I got another couple rows of seed potatoes in the ground. Well, on the ground and deeply mulched with fresh straw. Next to my Yukon Golds are now a row of Russet then a row of Kennebec's. I got these varieties at a discount superstore for $1.50 for 2 pounds. They had a good amount of eye and sprouts but they were kinda squishy and I know they weren't local. Hopefully I didn't give myself the blight from bringing in taters from who knows where.

I made a new bed - near the strawberries in an open space and went back to the truck to get the Red Pontiacs I got from a local feed store. I had one of the gals bag me up 10 pounds and didn't even look at them. But from the weight of the bag I think she gave me a few more than what was required - and the price was about $1/pound.

This is what I found when I opened the bag......

Did you hear the tater angels sing? I did!

And yes, they are local. My eyes just about bugged out of my head. Now THAT, my friends is what seed taters are supposed to look like. Not only did I buy local products, I got them from an independent store, and I got a good laugh from some good ol' gals. We talked about making sure you included enough eyes so they taters could "see to grow the right way." You just know that's my kind of joke.

Pretty much about 8 taters filled my planting space and, if we stay dry today, I'll do another extra long row out by my original taters (from ours last year).

Oh... and for the haters who were tellin' me my taters were put in too early a while back and they'd never make it? Those spuds are already sprouting up thru the straw. Neener. Neener.

Happy Thursday everyone! Keep watching the radar - we aren't in the clear just yet but here's hoping for a decent night's sleep.

5 comments:

Veggie PAK said...

I wish I had room for potatoes. You're doing a really good job with them. Good luck with all of it!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Those tater look something like the Red ones we bought at Walmarts that we thought wouldn't make it , and lo and behold they are not as tall as the others but they look strong and vigarious.
I think they will be some good taters :o)..

Mandy said...

OFG, glad to hear you are staying safe - crazy weather! I have a quick question: I'm ready to put more dirt on my taters but I would love to use straw instead (saves my back from shoveling!). I'm just afraid that I'd have little wheat plants growing everywhere. Or is it okay but the straw really doesn't touch the soil very much? Thanks!!

Unknown said...

Hi OFG! E normally plants our taters on the 100th day of the year, so I doubt you got yours out too early!

We're late this year. Have some cut and waiting now, and the first batch just went in a week ago. Usually have 'tater planting done by April 1.

So when the rest of us will be waiting to dig 'em up, you'll be havin' fresh taters! :)

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

CallieK said...

I'm north of you and I've had my taters in a bucket for three weeks now and they are growing like weeds! Tomorrow I'm going to have to top up the soil for the 3rd time already so I second your neener!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...