Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Sunday, September 23, 2012

Canning Green Beans

Is everyone canning green beans? I got a great deal on a beautiful bushel of green beans from an Amish neighbor. They were stunning....

I got two half bushes boxes just like this - for a total of $17.

Canning green beans is as easy as washing and trimming them.....

These long beans were a breeze to trim. No one grows them like our Amish neighbors.

Cutting them into one inch pieces......and then pressure canning them.

Seven quarts fit into my pressure canner - yesterday I had both of my canners going.

Easy peasy and we'll have green bean goodness for the rest of the year. From that bushel I got 14 quarts of beans then I gave away, had for dinner, or blanched and froze the rest of them. I understand from a canning professional that I would have gotten 21 quarts per bushel if I would have processed all of them.

Looks to be a frost tonite - don't forget to take up the last of your tomatoes!


4 comments:

becky3086 said...

So we were both canning beans today, only you had more beans and I have pears, gardening and sausage to make.

David said...

That's a lot of green beans!

small farm girl said...

I'm canning beans as I type this. That is a GREAT price for those beans!!!!!

Unknown said...

I freeze them myself...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...