Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Friday, September 14, 2012

What the Pigz Are Up To

About 180lbs I think.....
Pigz helping me with the pepper processing yesterday - they loved the trimmings.

Actually they are doing great. This is some good lookin' pork for sure. These are the pigz that fell from heaven back in late April. Zander still hates them.

Former fair-pig, now roots for a living.

They finally got over their prissy fair-pig ways and figured out that rooting is the best thing ever. They are dozing up the hog lot for sure.

"Please send me to my bacon destiny!" Pretty sure that's what this one is saying.

On a cool mornings soon, one of these beauties will be going to their just reward. And there will be bacon... oh yes, there will bacon.

And now.. even more peppers. I think I have enough for another round of salsa.  That's what I'm working on today. Happy Friday everyone!



5 comments:

Heavens Door Acres said...

The pigz ARE LOOKING GREAT! Yumminess....on the hoof! Ours is just about 20 pounds now....late bacon, but still....I WILL have bacon...soon!

Maple Grove Farm said...

How do you estimate their weight? Our Tams are growing LIKE CRAZY these last few weeks! No idea how to tell their weight or when they'll be ready for the baconator this fall. Any suggestions??

Misty Pines Homestead said...

I know being on a farm rule one never get attached to your food but pink pigs are cute and I don't want pigs,goats or (well a cow is really good)but....
Chickens are ok and I think I could do the deed if I had to.

David said...

Some nice long hogs them are... They look healthy!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks HDA! They are just about ready. :-D

Hi MGF! My extremely scientific method goes like this: hum... well them pigz are bigger than me and smaller than my hubby...ergo...about 180lbs. I checked with an expert tho and he verified that's about what they are. I also got pretty good at guessing by comparing them to our neighbor kid's 4H pigs that must be weighed.

AnnNF, believe me I do not think pigz are cute at all. not even the pink one! But bacon is beautiful so thats what I concentrate on.

Thanks Dave, these pigz are doing great. I think they look delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...