Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Taking Down the Big Sunflowers

I couldn't wait any longer and spent yesterday taking down the big sunflower garden. I hated doing it because it was my favorite garden.  But it was time to clear out that space so I can start mulching it with barnyard litter in preparation for next year.

These sunflower heads were were huge! (my glove for scale)

The heads were bigger than I originally thought! Most of the seeds had been picked clean by the finches and such. I gave the heads and the stalks to the pigz. They loved the leaves.

Soon. Soon there will be a pie.

I found one fun surprise lurking in the weeds - this big butternut will make an excellent pie one day.

The good news is that the latest planted turnips are doing great. I spend some time weeding and also thinning the just-started-turnips. I ended up with a 5 gallon bucket of tops for the chickens and then a second mostly full bucket for the pigz. That $2 total I spent on 2 packages of turnip seeds so far this year has really paid off...in fact, I think this has been one of our best projects ever.

We finally got some much needed rain - the slow and steady kind of soaking rain that it going to get my alfalfa seeds growing like mad. Soon I'll provide our plan and updated pix of the new alfalfa field. In the meantime, looks like its going to be an inside day with lots of muddy dogs.

Happy Tuesday everyone!

4 comments:

becky3086 said...

It has been pouring here most of the morning. I was outside rescuing kittens from under the house, of course.

NancyDe said...

I love turnips - and they are one thing that I can consistently grow even in the huge rains we've had for the last year.

Damummis said...

Right there with you OFG. Took down one sunflower, cleaned out the bean patches, potato patch and one cucumber patch. I do feel a sense of loss but kinda glad to be done with some of the canning. To another year of good veggies. *raises wine glass*

Jody said...

We had that slow rainy day here too. Our garden really needed it. We've got tons of butternut squash. Please post that recipe. I'm so glad your turnips are so productive and useful! We've not had so much success with them here. I think it's because we've not given them the attention they need at certain critical moments. Enjoy your bounty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...