Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Crazy Poultry

All of my birds are crazy. Absolutely nuts, if I were to tell you the truth. I think it's because of all the warm days we've had. They might think its spring.

She was giving that "other" turkey the stink eye.

This is Runner, one of my favorite turkey hens. She spent all day "fighting" a new turkey who had moved into her turf. It was an epic battle. She strutted and displayed and snarled and pecked the tarnation right off that other hen.

Who was of course just her reflection in the bumper of the truck.

See how Runner is all puffed up and has her tail displayed?

Last nite I went out to find my other turkey hen strutting around and displaying at her arch nemisis... the wood pile. Something about that fire wood just didn't set right with her and she was fit to be tied.

And then there's the geese. They are always nuts but more so lately. OD, the main gander, has been trying to get ahold of me the last couple of nites. As I'm trying to close their coop door he snakes out his neck, hissing at me, and tries to grab my leg. I have a scar on my arm to prove that he bites pretty hard. The dog doesn't like OD's new game at all. There could be a tussle if that crazy goose keeps it up.

Ganders in the tub. Cindy looks on in wonderment.

Today we are getting a break from the rain - but that just means there's tons of mud. No one is happy but the ducks and they think its great. It's a big flippity, floppity good time out there for them.

Happy Tuesday everyone!

ps Oh! and check it out... I added a new link along the top between "What I know about pigs" and the new store called, "Not Entirely Fiction."  I put all my adventure tails there - linking them at the end of the stories was getting a little complicated. And don't worry, FF, I'm working on Part 3 of The Horn of Battle.


5 comments:

Provender Place said...

Runner is beautiful! What a hoot trying to peck the other turkey.

Actually, if I had to admit it, I'm kinda glad that there's a couple of days in between installments. I have to savor it more this way rather than just devouring the whole thing! (It's kinda like pie except you can't just bake more when it runs out, you have to wait for the pie fairy). (There is such a thing right?)

Anyway, I just hope the story has a happy ending!

Weekend Cowgirl said...

Oh, you have turkeys! Very cute. Love the photos!!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

FF - she was ridiculous! She did that all day!

Hi WCG! I thought your turkeys were pretty funny too. :-D

David said...

I had a cardinal do that in a mirror in the garden. It was pretty funny.

City Sister said...

My husband once had to tell a student that their car didn't have paint on it due to a turkey that attacked the car until it had removed most of the paint on one side. It took him 30 minutes to get the turkey to stop attacking the car.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...