Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Thursday, December 20, 2012

Gingerbread Biscotti

Stop what you are doing, clear the kitchen counters, and make these cookies right now. You don't even need a reason. They are the best holiday cookies. EVER. Gingerbread biscotti - they will change your life.


And when I say "holiday cookies" I mean you can and should make them at any time of year including right now. Everyday is a holiday, right?

My love affair with gingerbread biscotti started at Starbucks - they offered these as a seasonal treat. But since my closest Starbucks is a hard 45 minute drive away, I was thrilled to find them in the grocery store by Nonni. You know how I feel about packaged foods tho - so I was determined to find a home made version.

Of course, I cut the sugar in this recipe, used more cinnamon than advised, and I don't believe in white chocolate on principal. But they didn't need a thing. Just gingerbready goodness. I also baked these twice, as you normally would made biscotti. Once as a loaf for about 25 minutes at 350*, cool 10 minutes, slice with a serrated knife, then bake again for 14 minutes at 325*, turning them over half way thru.


I'm also trying something new with the camera - what do you think? Ever since my pal, D, over at Gastronomic Gardener dramatically improved his food pictures I've been wondering how he did it. He just posted some pointers on food photography so I'm trying to learn more about it. 


Unfortunately I have zero artiness in me. At all. There is some artistic ability in my family - but I didn't get any of it. I got the "good with a shovel" gene. And the "can shout obscenities that can be heard from a mile away" gene. But not the artful side.

So I was glad to learn that some of food photography is about mechanics and not entirely about having an artful eye. I figure I should learn these techniques or I'll end up spending a lot of time photoshopping my food pix. (You know who you are.)

Of course, trying to take any pictures of food in this house comes with the potential of being photobombed by any number of cats.

Nicholas says "Soon."

Today looks like we are getting the leading edge of the snow storm that has been pounding across the midwest. I'm going to make another batch of these cookies to make sure we are well supplied.

Happy Thursday everyone! Now go and make some gingerbread biscotti!



5 comments:

3 Dogs Barking Farms said...

Great recipe Im trying these this weekend for sure!

David said...

Love the "shoveling gene!" and Nicholas is a hoot peeking up over the table

Anonymous said...

They are amazing!

Rachel (Hounds In The Kitchen) said...

I love what you said about white chocolate!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Hope you love them 3DBF!

Yeah, Dave..that Nicholas is just hilarious.. ha!

Thanks Anon!

Hi Rachel! and yeah what is white chocolate anyway. its just a bad idea. :-D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...