Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Wednesday, December 5, 2012

How To Feed Out A Pig Cheaply

Over the last couple weeks there has been an explosion of folks searching for information on "How to feed a pig" and "How to feed a pig cheaply" and "What to feed a pig."  And thanks to the folks at "the Pinterest" some of my posts have been passed around, or "repinned."

People love this pig picture... all I see is bacon in the makin'.


I don't know if all of this new interest is because of the pending "Ham-amageddon" and possible bacon shortage that is forecasted for next year...or if everyone just saw my pal, Duncan's, spectacular follow up post on his home made bacon.

Whatever the reason I thought I'd pull together some of my top pig feeding posts in one spot. You really can grow out your own pigz on the cheap. Not only will "eating local" mean from your back yard, but you can control what them pigz eat resulting a quality product and the satisfaction of a job well done. Of course, you can also just find a local producer if the Home Owners Association object.

My best "How to Feed Pigs" posts:

How to grow out feeder pigs - on the cheap. Part One. Reminds you that pigz can be big mean and dangerous. So be prepared before you launch into your own pork growing adventure.

How to grow out feeder pigs - on the cheap. Part Two. Talks about the nitty gritty of what to feed and how much. And how to do it without breaking the piggy bank.

Whatcha feedin' them pigz. Talks about the tidy circle of thrift on the farm - how putting your feed dollars toward your dairy critters pays off for everyone. Feed the goats well and they will produce milk for the chickens, who lay eggs, which can be fed for the hogs. And pour on all that milk for the hogs and you have a double dip in dairy efficiency.  Start making cheese and its a 3 part win for everyone. Don't forget the use them pigz to do your tilling and clearing. Fence in those pigz back in your deepest thicket - they'll clear the land and feed themselves so you don't have to.

What I'm feeding the pigz today. Don't forget to grow your own fodder for the pigz. My turnip project this year was a hit right out of the park. Turnips are a triple threat - greens and the roots for the livestock...and yourself. Its a great project that really pays off.

So there you go. Now you are ready to start planning for next year. Is everyone excited about growing their own pork? I know I am... last nite we had a stunning pork and two-tater stew. I may hate them pigz but I love the pork.

Happy Wednesday everyone! Now run over the "the Pinterest" and start repinning this - we can get this Grow Your Own revolution kicked into high gear! Pork shortage? What pork shortage? We can do this ourselves!




7 comments:

Unknown said...

With grain prices up this year, and still rising, this is very timely stuff, OFG. We are already planning for next year, looking at rotational grazing of the pigs to make the most of our pasture (Sugarhill Farms has some great info on this). Pigs can be raised on pasture and forage, but folks will have to give up the rapid rate of gain attainable through engineered hog feed - but that rate of gain is scary fast, and bringing a hog to weight a little slower will result in fine pork.

I just sliced into our pancetta....wow.....best yet! Post coming soon on pancetta and guanciale!

Provender Place said...

So excited! We just ordered our first pig for February. Can't raise them in the city but found someone who raises them on pasture and grows all his own feed for them. We're more than happy to support him in his endeavor. Last night I dreamed of smoked jowl and chops!

Traci Sumner said...

I'm curing one of my pork bellies right now. Bacon - 4 ways. The one belly weighed almost 14 pounds!!!! So, I cut it into 4 pieces and I'm trying 4 different cures to figure out which one we like the best. Then, when I do the second belly, I'll know what base cure to use and then I can play with how to flavor it - like pepper bacon, and dried apple, etc.

Unknown said...

Great photo!

CallieK said...

Wartime Farm has a whole storyline about 'pig clubs' and info on what people fed pigs during WW2 in England.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8vaexIRSZ0

Chai Chai said...

The pigz say: "Bad neighbors and/or their barking yappy dogs taste good!"

...and the pigz leave no traces for law enforcement either!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks Duncan - we love pasturing our pigz. We know folks who only use commercial food. It kind of freaks us out - and the meat is too lean, in a bad way. Slow and steady makes the bacon!

Excellent work FFashionista! You'll be loving those chops for sure!

Great work, Traci! I'd love to see how they turn out - let us know.

Thanks Nancy!

Callie - what a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

That's what I'm sayin', CC... ha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...