Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Monday, December 10, 2012

Gingerbread Pudding Cake

I don't know about you but I have had it with this Big Dark. The weather guy says that the next couple days will be our earliest sunsets. This means that I'll be heading out for chores before 4pm. It's barely worth getting out of bed! Our sunrises will continue to be a little later until, thank heaven, this crazy earth starts tilting the other way on the 21st.

I had this for breakfast.

Until then there is only one refuge. Baking. Lots and lots of baking.

I had a hankering the other day for some kind of fudgy, oogy googy, moist and spicey gingerbread thing...but I couldn't put my finger on it. So I used 'the google' to search on Gingerbread Pudding Cake. The very first link that popped up referenced a recipe from Bon Appetite - one of those "Reader's Favorites" where they get the low down on a favorite restaurant dish. That was sounding mighty familiar so I looked in my little collection of handwritten and torn out of magazines recipes... and there it was. The original page from the 2007 the Bon Appetite magazine.

There is my original Bon Appetite page. It was a sign and so I baked.

Obviously it was a sign. So I got to work. This is probably the easiest, and most fun cake recipe ever. It involves a lot of butter. And sugar. And my old time favorite ingredient, molasses. You can find the exact recipe here.

The funniest ingredient item is "2 tablespoons beaten eggs."  I laughed a lot about that - and just sorted thru my fresh eggs for the day and found the smallest one. I used that. I don't have time for 2 tablespoons of beaten eggs.

About an hour later the house smelled like love. This morning its still smells like love. I heated up a couple scoops of Gingerbread Pudding Cake and had it with my coffee. I think I can endure another day in The Big Dark now. Of course, I'll have to sit here in the dark for another hour and a half before I can get morning chores started...but that might give me time for another bowl of gingerbread pudding cake.

OK, fine. I had 2 helpings. Its dark and I needed the extra nourishment.

Happy Monday everyone!  Are you baking yourself happy? Or just slogging thru another day and dreary day?


6 comments:

David said...

Headed off to the high tower - but bringing delicious left over from a party. It's not pudding cake but it's still darn fine.

Traci Sumner said...

-Sugar cookies
-gingerbread cookies with homemade crystallized ginger
-shortbread
-7-grain bread
-2 batches homemade marshmallows (wait those aren't baked!)

That was just yesterday. Today, more bread of some kind. The kid needs an "English dessert" for her Christmas in England presentation, so I might be lazy and do another batch of shortbread.

Right now, pooped. Neighbor's 4-wheeler with the plow died and I had to shovel. Had to do the end of the driveway where the *#&^^$ plow shoved it all, and around the vehicles (no garage - actually no room in the garage) and then I had to trudge out to the goat pen and check on the chickens. I'm thinking I deserve a nap today.

Provender Place said...

I think I've been here six times already today to see if part 3 is ready yet...

In the meantime, I'm now craving gingerbread anything!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

I hope you were victorious today in the High Tower of Commerce, fight on noble warrior!

Wow, Traci! Great work! I keep wanting to make some kind of English steamed pudding. Maybe this year.. hum.

FF - ha! thanks so much! I'll see what I can do to move things along.
;-)

Weekend Cowgirl said...

I don't have the ingredients today, but want to make this NOW. I know I would love it. Thanks for sharing!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

hey WCG! I hope you gave this a try - it was wonderful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...