Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Friday, April 26, 2013

Give us the chocolate cake!

My all time favorite comedy bit is Bill Cosby's "Chocolate Cake." Everyone remembers the song - "Dad is great! Give us the chocolate cake!" It is my favorite song. (You can skip ahead to about 7:02 to sing along).



I believe with my whole heart that chocolate cake is a breakfast food. It does have milk and eggs and all those good things. This one even has coffee - so it's kind of like one stop shopping. Or at least that is what I tell myself.


There has been a story going around the facebook about if you want a more home made style cake from a mix just add this and that and substitute this. When I read it, initially, I thought "Hum.. well sounds legit." But then I thought, "For heavens sakes at that point just measure out the flour and sugar yourself."

I don't particularly like mixes. Have you seen the ingredients? There is a lot of stuff you can't pronounce. I'm fairly certain someone at the food companies started the rumor that home made cake is a drudgery and hard to do. Nothing could be more ridiculous.  Cake is easy! It's fun! And it doesn't take any time at all to make your own with ingredients that you can pronounce.

I found this terrific recipe for a very moist cake. I think the secret is coconut oil. Or maybe it's the buttermilk. Could be the coffee. Whatever the case it was quick and easy. I didn't have a carton of buttermilk so I just poured a cup of milk and added a little lemon juice. Easy peasy. By the time the coffee had brewed the buttermilk was ready. I think I spent about 5 minutes putting this together.

This recipe is for 2 round cakes but I'm sure you can just dump the whole thing in one 13 x 9 inch pan and call it a day. One of the reasons for the round pans was so I could be a little smarter. It is a fact that between the two of us we could eat one full cake in about 2 days. It's OK because we are professionals - but I'm pretty sure I might have given myself the diabeetus as it was.

So I only used one round and froze the other - for later chocolate cake emergencies. I took the other round, cut it in half, and then stacked and frosted it like a layer cake. It was terrific!

What do you think - will you take the challenge and make your own home made cake? Give it a try - you'll see how easy it is. And your children will love you for it - especially if it's for breakfast. Everyone sing now - "Dad is great! Give us the chocolate cake!"

Happy Friday everyone! Now have some cake for breakfast and get out there and enjoy your day!




3 comments:

DoC said...

If cinnamon rolls, donuts, sticky buns, pancakes with syrup, and so on and so forth are for breakfast, why not chocolate cake? I'm all for it.

David said...

Hmm if you frost between the layers, then tip it to the cut side down, you could maximize the frosting to cake ratio. I love science. And cake.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

You said it, DoC!

Dave - that makes me love science even more...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...