Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Ron Finley - Gardening Hero

This Ted Talk was passed around the other day on the facebook - you have to see it. It's only about 10 minutes and it will really inspire you to get out there and get moving. I'm totally a gangsta gardener - are you?


The idea that you can take control of your life is extremely important to most people. But most folks don't take the opportunity to take control of their food. I love that Ron saw an opportunity and took it...and better yet, he shared it with his community. And even better than that - he continues to share it with a wider audience.  Ron is spreading the gospel of gardening and everyone needs to hear this message.

I also planted a flat of broccoli.This year I'm going to have a broccoli empire.

You can count on one hand the number of generations back to where just about everyone had something to do with growing food. Now it is practically a novelty. I find that profoundly sad because we are literally dying from lack of involvement in our food. Convenience food isn't very convenient if you end up dying a completely preventable death.  Listen to what he says about how food is responsible for more deaths than street crime. This is an amazing success story and I'm glad my friend Vicki shared it the other day.


 So many potatoes....

As for me, I've been out there hitting it pretty hard. Someone had the great idea to get a 50lbs sack of seed potatoes (for only $18! It was a bargain!)..... it was a lot of potatoes. This was the only thing I could think of the whole time I was out there planting.

I straw the potatoes in deeply - this keeps the weeds down and helps improve the soil.

What am I gonna do with all these taters? What do you think? Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew.... 

What about you? Are you taking out there planting? Are you spreading the good word of gardening?

Happy Wednesday everyone!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I planted my seed potatoes a week and a half ago - not nearly 50 pounds but at least twenty plants. The flowers are very pretty. I find potatoes an annoyance to harvest but the texture of a fresh tater can't be beat.

Weekend Cowgirl said...

Love love love love potatoes. You are going to have some good ones to cook with. That alone is exciting!

David said...

AMEN! Gonna share it too!

Tonya @ My Cozy Little Farmhouse said...

Good god--50 POUNDS of seed potatoes?! You are gonna have Tatetgeddon happening there!

Jen O said...

Love the LOTR references in your posts. Just wanted to say hi- Thanks for telling the truth, and for being hilarious and unapologetic. We're in the process of looking for our forever farm, and it's nice to hear someone talk about the chaos and disorder that comes with the lifestyle. Very reassuring!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks Jen! and thanks for coming by. would love to hear about your progress.
:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...