Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Thursday, October 17, 2013

Had to move the fence again... good job, goats!

Check it out - the goats did such a great job of eating down that bramble spot... that I had to move the fence again. Good job, goats!

They at the whole (almost) thing!

They ate their way thru the whole thing in just a few days. I can't believe it. So today I moved the fence again.

The good news is that the goats ate nearly ever single leaf off all that bramble...but the bad news is that I'll have to get in there and clip off the stems. Also, there was not as much hardwood under that brush as I'd hoped. So there wasn't any fire wood to pull out for our wood burning stove...but it will still be an impressive burn pile.

The new area. We'll see how well the goats take care of all this.

Moving the electric fence was as easy as in this tutorial. Fortunately I had plenty of posts and only had to add about 15 feet of wire to connect the existing and new sections.

Unfortunately I had to do all this fence fixing in the rain. Yes, I made sure the fence was completely off. Several times. After it stopped raining I walked the goats down so they could check out the new area. Dahli and Nibbles got straight to business. Debbie and the little girls got nervous and walked back up the hill with me. But they will figure it out.

Here's hoping for their hard work to continue. Come on, goats! Get the new section cleared!

Happy Thursday everyone! Are your goats hard at work?

1 comment:

Weekend Cowgirl said...

Isn't it amazing what they can do? There are just a few things at our place they simply will not eat...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...