Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Thursday, October 23, 2014

Beetin' up eggs

Last nite, after a lot of brussel sprouts, blue cheese, and red wine... it occurred to me that I have not recently adequately expressed my love of  beets. You can't beat beets, that is for sure. But the next best thing to beets is - beet pickled eggs. Yep. It's a thing.

Aren't they lovely?

I've already finished off one jar of beets and I had all of this lovely pickled beet juice. I couldn't let it go to waste - and then one of my pals reminded me about pickled hard cooked eggs. Ever since I learned of the miracle of steamed eggs I've been using a lot of had cooked eggs. So I fired up the steamer and make myself some pickled eggs. 

No really, aren't they just beautiful?

I love pickled eggs in salads. I love beets in salads. I love that the salad turns pink when you use beets.
 Seriously, isn't this the greatest thing?

I have a few more hard cooked eggs marinating in beet juice. My next step is to make deviled eggs out of the beet pickled eggs. I can't wait.

Happy Thursday everyone! Do you love beets? How about pickled eggs? How could you not?


6 comments:

Weekend Cowgirl said...

I love beets, but have never tried this! I have seen them before, but never thought to try them. Might be fun!

Heavens Door Acres said...

We LOVE pickled beet eggs! *drooling* I think tomorrow, I will open a jar of beets...so we can have some too!

Amanda said...

I only had beets once, sliced and sautéed in butter. They were alright, seemed kinda earthy. I would try those pink eggs, but... sweet potatoes is where it's at. Can I get a WUT?

Vera said...

Now that's a good idea!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Isn't this fun, WCG? :-)

Small bantam or quail eggs would be fun too, HDA.

WUT! I love roasted beets, Amanda, but really i love them in salads. And yes "earthy." But they get sweet when you roast them. People either love them or hate them. :-)

And they are so pretty, Vera!

Fiona from Arbordale Farm said...

Wow they look amazing. I might have a go at these.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...