Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Monday, October 27, 2014

Three things I hate about fall.

It's true. I don't like fall. At all. Not a bit. Sure I love the cool temps and the crisp, dry air... but that's where my affection ends.

This. What is this about? They are everywhere.

I like my leaves on the trees, the sun warm, and the growing season in full swing. Here are just 3 things that I hate about fall:

1. Those sticky seed thingys. They are everywhere. We are plagued by them. I've even given up on picking the seeds off a few articles of clothing and just thrown them away. I'm covered with them and so are the dogs. We drag so many into the house that the inside cats have them too. Enough!

2. Those weird ladybugs that get in the house. What is with that? They are weird and kinda stinky. And they really bug me. They should be outside enjoying summer not trying to hibernate in the house. But they don't really do any harm so I'll just stand here and glare at them. You can read more about the whole thing here.

3. The stupid time change. Apparently daylight savings time ends on Nov. 2nd and I've already started being mad about it. What the heck, man? It's going to be dark so early. No one likes that! Even Russia got rid of their time change. The whole thing is ridiculous. I think they should pick one and just stick with it. 

This whole fall thing has given me the grumps.

I'm going to start out the day in 2 layers of sweats and a hat. By mid-chores I'll toss my hat on the steps by the door, and end as the day goes along I'll strip off more layers until I'm in shorts and a tshirt and squinting because the sun will perpetually be in my eyes all afternoon. Stupid fall.

Happy Monday everyone! Anyone else have the grumps?


6 comments:

Heavens Door Acres said...

Oh, I love fall! Well, except all those things you listed above, and...flying spiders! Well, not actually "flying" But spitting their nasty webs into the air so they can float gracefully on the breeze....into my face, in my hair, all over ME! AAAAAKKK!

Amanda said...

Yes! Well put! Another thing is being able to see the neighbor's house. But according to my fiancé, it's the best time of year. Not too sure about him.

Wildcard said...

I agree 100% about the time change. It needs to go away.

Unknown said...

Goodness, youve got it bad today.

Vera said...

A good assessment of Autumn!

Leah said...

I love your blog!

Those hook-y seeds look a lot like burdock seeds. I have a dog that has really long fluffy hair and last year she was so covered in them she looked more like a porcupine than a puppy. This summer, when I saw the little ball-like flowers on the woody stems, I pulled those suckers.

I actually did it at my parents house too, because there was a really robust one growing right in my Dad's path from woodpile to house and those bad boys transfer in the laundry. So far (knock on wood) no burdock seeds. Don't know if you'll have time next year to think about it, but thought I'd mention.

Thanks for this blog, it has made a huge difference in how I look at my yard & food storage. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...