Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Freezer Fail

One of our three chest freezers failed. I went to check the peppers that I have been freezing and while some of them were very cold - they had not frozen solid.

This is how Nicholas reacted to Freezer Fail 2014.

Then I checked the rest of the items in there..... and it was the same story. Some were frozen, some had ice cystals, and some were just plain thawed out.

Thank heavens we found out BEFORE we butchered the pigz!

So what do we do? I've been sorting thru everything trying to figure out what I can save. The worst is that about 8 or 10 pounds of parted up chicken looks to be lost. That would be the last of our meat from the creepy meats. So we are now kind of in a pickle.

This is one of those instances where you can clearly see that canning some of your harvest absolutely makes sense. You should not, literally, put all your meat in one freezer.

We defrosted, drained, and turned off the freezer overnight. Then we fired it back up again to see if it even worked. It did. So then we put a container of water in it and that has been consistently frozen the last couple of days.

We think that the lid may not have been all the way closed which is what caused the freezer to fail.

At this point the only thing we can do is hope for the best and keep checking to make sure the freezer continues to work. We'll keep testing/check it for several more days.

Happy Wednesday everyone - have you checked your freezer lately? Maybe you should go and see...


5 comments:

Heavens Door Acres said...

Oh no! I am so sorry this happened. Losing even a little meat and veggies, from all your hard work can be a downer. I have been there and it WAS after we butchered. I was lucky that I found it before everything thawed. I just happened to go to get something from the freezer, and noticed the ice on the sides was not there. We didn't lose much, but it was an eye opener. Now, I can a LOT of our meats. Soups, stews, meatloaf, meatballs, pork chops. ( be careful with the bones when you go to eat these, the bones are mush, and look just like the meat, lesson learned) and meat chunks. Now I have the issue, finding a GOOD space for all those jars! LOL

Amanda said...

Can you give the meat to your pups? Ours lurrrves raw chicken. Or even cooked!

We're thinking about trying for a deer or two this year (first time) and I'm curious.. do you need to keep the freezer plugged in during the winter? It never gets above freezing here, not sure what Ohio winters are like.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks HDA, yes its all the work that is the true loss. ugh!

Hi Amanda... some of it can go to the dogs. But some was just too "iffy." And yep you need to keep the freezer a constant temp - the fluctuations are what can be bad for the contents. It's also, I understand, a bad idea to keep a freezer where it can get below freezing - can you believe that?

Unknown said...

Oh that sucks, that is our nightmare! Actually we have a spare fridge for butcher day, and this year it just wouldn't get cold, so we had to make room in the main fridge for all our wet ageing steak and 20kg of sausages... backup plans are important. Also in our tiny house, the freezers are along the wall next to the table, and we can hear them cycling from our bedroom, so I suppose we keep a close eye on them!

Unknown said...

I'm in mine every day or 2, and it's only 2 years old. Good thing you caught it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...