Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Wednesday, January 25, 2012

It's like riding a bicycle....

Tuesday was a hard day on the farm. Tuesday was a great day on the farm. Tuesday was a hard day on the farm.....Sometimes this life is like riding a bicycle.

Angel - nothing special or remarkable. She was the sweetest thing.

The down strokes are the hard days. The days when the bugs eat all your green bean, or the rain won't stop, or you go out to find rats in your turkey house. That's the hard work. It feels pointless, its repetitive, and sometimes it feels like its all uphill.

The upstrokes are the good days. When you go out to find a perfectly blue sky day and the birds are singing, and the skip poppin' baby goats come running around the barn to dance and prance away the day, or when your best hard workin' farm dog helps you and its like you can read each other's minds. The good days are a piece of cake and its all sunshine and roses. Its like driving fast with your windows down and the radio up and the wind in your hair on a straight country road with no one around for miles.

But the upstrokes and the down strokes, together, propel you forward. Hard, easy, hard easy, pretty soon you're making progress. The hard times - the challenges - force you out of your comfort zone and make you learn something new. All "easy" days give you a false sense of well being and don't let you master the skills you need to keep going. And it makes you ungrateful and self absorbed. Its good to remember the cost at which your life comes. It keeps you honest. Its the difference between "Hey look at everything I've done!" and "I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me."

Tuesday was Angel's last day with us. She was just a chicken, one of my laying hens. Nothing remarkable or interesting about her, just a regular old laying hen with a big floppy comb and beautiful white feathers. Of course she was a favorite. She was one of the original chicks that we got when we started out. I think she must have been 7 or 8 years old. I can't even believe that she lasted this long - I prepared to preach her funeral 2 or 3 times when she had a prolapse a couple summers ago and I was sure she wouldn't make it. But she did.

This time her luck ran out. She developed some kind of abscess that couldn't be fixed and her number was up. My smart friend calls this kind of end "the final kindness." And so it was and it was time. It should have been last week but I couldn't bring myself to make the decision. Tuesday, tho, I couldn't put it off any longer.

We've had a lot of attrition lately with our good old hens, but that's only because they are getting along in years. So one by one we are saying goodbye to them. Most of them we just let pass away with dignity, unless, like Angel, they were suffering.

Angel PurplePants held a special place in my heart. There's a funny story about her, and how she got her name, and I'll write it up one day. But not today. She was my good ol' girl and we had a fun relationship. She let me carry her around. She came when I called her. She wasn't flappy and ridiculous. She was the sweetest thing. So we buried her beside a lovely little tree in the garden.

That was the down stroke.

The upstroke was that we also hauled in a full harvest of meat chickens. We probably have about 35 pounds of fresh, naturally raised meat cooling in our coldest fridge right now. Tomorrow I'll part them up and we'll have good eating for many meals. And they are huge too. So many dinners, so much stock, so many leavin's for the cats. Thank heaven for our full harvest! We've fed them on the cheap and now are getting a just reward. To be sure it was a cold day with a biting wind but that just made us work a little faster.

So it was a weird day. One to her grave and others to their glory in noodles. Sometimes folks ask me how we can butcher our own chickens. But today just showed its all how you think about it. We'd never send dear little Angel to the pot but we couldn't get that mean meat roo to the block fast enough.

Down stroke. Upstroke. Just keep peddling. It feels like progress.

Have a great Wednesday everyone - and if you have a special hen, give her an extra snuggle and tell her she's the sweetest thing.


10 comments:

Heavens Door Acres said...

So beautifully written, and so true. You have to take the good with the bad...and learn from it all. I too have a favorite "little" hen, she is about 5 yrs old, and blind as a bat. She is a Buff Orpington, her name is...Butter. She can see shadows, I am pretty sure. She gets around fairly well...I don't move anything in the coop, and I hand feed her treats. She loves to be held and talked softly to. When I hold her she cuddles down and closes her eyes...knowing she is safe. I will give Butter a special pet this morning, just for your Angel.

KatB said...

What a wonderful read. I'm sorry about your Angel, and happy about your fridge full of meat. It must sound funny to some that you'd bury one bird with full funeral honors and eat the rest, but I get it. I'll miss my sweet Araucana Betty when she goes, but if that nasty little Rhode Island Red broad gives me the stink eye one more time, she's headed for the stewpot. Great analogy with the bicycle, too. Love it.

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Aw! I just loved the way you described that one :o) that's the way life goes upstrokes and down strokes..
Some how it all seems to even out in the end..Your meat harvest sounds wonderful..nice fresh chickens, you can't beat that..

freemotion said...

huAww, sweet Angel had a good run. It is good that you are strong and wise enough to give her that final kindness....some would allow their animals to suffer on. Angel was blessed.

Meanwhile, save me a piece of chicken with extra crispy skin, please! Yum! I'm making pork chili today, but I think I'll take some rooster out of the freezer for Sunday dinner...

Vickie said...

Aw, sorry about your hen. Yes, that's real life on the farm, and it's hard sometimes. But I like the way you have your special ones and then you have those that are there for a specific purpose. They're doing their duty and they had a good life while there. Perhaps there'll be another special hen someday! Thanks for sharing.

David said...

Circles, cycles, up and down strokes, the rhythm of life. The struggles, the triumphs. Brevity, for chickens and humans, perhaps is what give life its poignancy.

JeffJustJeff said...

I'm sorry, OFG :-/ It's funny how some of these feathered gals snatch such a big piece of your heart. I'm looking forward to chick days at TSC. That's where I got my sweet little Chipmunk that we lost. I'm going to bring home a boxful of little banties that look like chipmunks.

Hugs,
JJJ

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks DDA, I love that you have Butter even tho she's not quite up to par. Good for you!

Hi Kristen and thank you very much. And yes its weird that their fates are so different. Give Betty a little snuggle.

Ginny, I've got 2 big pots of stock going and the house just smells like heaven. I can't wait for supper tonite!

Thanks Free, she had a good run alright. I'm glad someone I know is so wise as to tell me about the final kindness. Makes it much much easier to understand.

Thanks Vickie, the special ones make it all worth it. It is a strange life for sure.

Dave, struggles and triumphs is just right. My supper last nite was definitely a triumph!

thanks JJJ - I cant wait to for chick days! And I hope you can find another Chipmunk - and maybe a few more too. ;-)

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

Awwwww. I'm so sorry to hear about Angel. I have my favorites in my flock too - shhhh don't tell the rest of them..... such sweet, fun little personalities. It's hard to lose any of them, but having to help the process along makes it quite a bit more difficult and sad. (((hugs)))

Angel PurplePants is a fun name, and I imagine there is a good story behind it! I wonder if it involved bluekot?

I'm gonna be sure to hug my Piglet and Lucy-fer today. And I'll think of Angel PurplePants and say a quiet prayer when I do.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

hey B2B! ha! you guessed just right.. i'll dig up that story, its pretty good. Thanks for your kind words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...