Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Sunday, August 23, 2015

I Don't Practice Santeria....

This..... this is not what it looks like....

No chicken voodoo here. 

Don't worry, I don't practice santeria.... this is not chicken voodoo. We were just having Annoying Little Rooster Day.

Unfortunately we got a late start yesterday and so we were swarmed by bugs and yellow jackets. We lit some citronella candles to keep the bugs at bay. For the full effect you have to imagine me with my butcher knives standing between two tiki torches.

In the end it worked out really well for everyone - except those Annoying Little Roosters. The hens rejoiced and now we'll have some lovely chicken and noodles this winter.

Happy Sunday everyone!


4 comments:

lizzybaxter said...

I actually grew up in Miami and know very well what Santeria is. Haven't heard it mentioned in a long time. I have a group of 13 young chickens and I think we will try butchering a couple of them. I am curious, how long does it take you? Do you have to put them in boiling water to loosen the feathers? You probably have a whole article somewhere on all of this but I wrote this before taking the time to look. Sorry.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

i laughed a lot when i walked back out of the house and saw that my workspace looked like a voodoo ceremony - it was the tiki torches that gave it a special flair.

it's not a lot of work at all. we did 4 or 5 in about an hour but we were kind of goofing around and taking our time. and yep we plucked these. we just skin the creepy meat chickens but these little roosters are super quick. i think you want the water at about 160*. it goes pretty quick. Harvey Ussery has the best instructions of anyone:
http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Butchering+Poultry.html
:-)

Unknown said...

OFG between two tiki torches with bucher knives and irate roosters everywhere--- falls over laughing! Well played.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

this was totally one of my finest moments. ever. yay!
:-D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...