Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Summer Fruit

Summer (tree) Fruit around here has basically been non-existent. We had too cold of a winter/spring so all of the growers are empty handed. So WOW was I thrilled when I scored some plums and peaches!

These local peaches are so scarce they are like gold. 

I was, of course, late to the produce auction the other day. They have a "retail" section where you just pick whatever you want and pay a set price. This is sometimes easier than waiting to be part of the bidding auction. The only fruit they had left were some plums...but I really wanted those so I was glad.

Plums......as in plum sauce and possibly some Pflaumenkuchen.

As I was standing in line to pay I saw the orchard guy and called to him. He laughed at my lateness and thusly lack of peaches - but then told me to stop by their orchard at another time. So I did!!! I scored some freebie peaches from the ground and a basket of nicer ones. Yay!

So I ran right home and made a huge peach crisp - the pigs got the trimmings and the not great ones.

Summer was not ruined - there were peaches. Oh yes there were...as in... that crisp is just about gone.

Happy Wednesday everyone!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...