Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Friday, December 2, 2011

So I got one of those Facebook thingys.....

Hey, look at me! I'm keeping up with technology and finally got one of them Facebook thingys. You can find me as Ohio Farmgirl there. After avoiding "the Facebook" this whole time you might wonder why I finally caved and finally signed up? Of course there is a story.

Zander and his too-big-for-his-head ears. Adorable.

However, this isn't one of those feel good stories. And there is some questionable language involved. So God-fearing women and respectable types like our Miss Ginny should probably read no further. I've provided an adorable picture of the pup and I'll wish you a happy Friday.  Heiko, Mr. H, JJJ, and B. - read on.

So for a while I had been active on one of those "self reliant" online forums - you know, like minded folks chat online about what they are doing down on the farm, share tips on how to garden, and occasionally get into virtual alterations about the price of tea in China or what not. It was fun, I learned a lot, and a met a lot of friends I am extremely happy to know.

But the mood of the forum started to change. And I realized I was spending a lot of time there - which really only helped someone else's business. Just in case you don't know, the owners of these kinds of websites make money off all your chatter. They get paid for each "page view" when readers are looking around. The advertisers pay "per click" - which is a great business and yay for them. But I woke up one day and realized that maybe I should concentrate on my own efforts instead of "working for free" for someone else.

And then a lot of weird stuff happened. Then the flimflam started. Pretty soon it was an all out hullabaloo, not to mention the fur was really flying. Then blah blah blah and yadda yadda yadda... I could go on and on. The long and short of it was that I chose to abide by the immortal words of my favorite uncle when he said, "They told me to f*ck off, so I did." I didn't necessarily go away mad. I just went away. Mostly laughing and proudly wearing my 35 demerit points on my sleeve. 

And no, it doesn't matter which homestead/self reliant forum it was - so I'm not saying. And sure the Facebook basically works on the same ad-revenue generation principal - but I'm the only moderator there. Unlike. You know.. other places.

So mistakes were made, feelings were hurt, and I really don't think that trying to mend fences while you're drunk on turkey is the best policy.  Was I on my best behavior in all of this? Nope. But instead of an honest attempt at reconciliation, the lowest blow came when I found out that The Management felt I had stirred up trouble by telling lies and fabrications. I did not tell these lies. I made no fabrications.  Instead of asking me directly or extending a hand of peace "they" just believed the worst. So guess what?

Guess what? Puppy butt. Smell ya later, forum who shall remain nameless.

Puppy butt. And that is what I have to say and that is what you're gonna see as I saddle up my circus and ride on out of town. As one very smart friend said, "The interweb is a big place." And so it is.

Anyway. My point is, I joined the Facebook so I could stay in touch with my friends. And I hope I can "friend" you folks also. I already found a few blog-pals- Chai Chai, Sonja, and Dave - and look forward to finding more of you. The blog remains, of course and is still my central focus for the goings on around here.  Of course this means that I'm gonna have to learn to use the Facebook.. maybe I'll ask the youngest neighbor kid how to run it, he'll know.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. We'll return to our regular programming next time. Until then, Happy Friday!


20 comments:

Carolyn said...

I'm on Facebook also, but it started because of my Sister.....honestly! It IS a great way to keep up with distant family & friends, but like any other social networking (or homesteading networking!) thingy, it's all up to you (well, and sometimes the mods) on how or if you use it! So good luck on you new Facebook Foray! Maybe see ya on the "other" side! Oh, and my Facebook page tends to be not-as-proper as my blog....just warning ya!

Robin said...

I have had nothing but problems trying to get my FB page working properly. It was supposed to feed from my blog and never worked correctly....so, I gave up on it. I just checked and now you can't feed your blog. Oh well, if I only had a kid to help me change it! The college kid will be home soon for winter break....I bet she can fix it!

Mr. H. said...

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

kcsunshine said...

My hero!

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

Oooh, FB. I made a vow to never go there. But I hope it looks good on you though!

Love the puppy butt. I guess you farted in their general direction, huh?

Traci Sumner said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the attitude had changed you-know-where. I'll still keep following your blog, because I love ya! Traci

becky3086 said...

The forums can get out of hand at times. I know I have had one for a while, lol, but we tend not to get out of hand. You are probably better off to get away from that one (troublemaker! LOL). I don't know which one you are talking about since I am seldom on any of them anymore except to look for ideas. I'll be looking you up on facebook. You'll get a friend invite from Rebecca Whitford.

Sonja said...

The forum that shall not be named is also persona non grata around here too. I only lurked but did not like the shenanigans that went on.

On a happier note, how is all that ground turkey, now that you're drunk on it.

And would you just look at that adorable puppy tush. The curly tail gets me every time.

Happy Friday....

RobbyA said...

You have a ton of wonderful information to share. Be on the lookout for my friend request :)

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

What kind of mess have you gotten into? Do I need to come over there and help you kick some butt? I'm respectable and God fearing, but I don't let anybody push me or my kind around, Give me time to put on my boots and I'll be ready to walk all over Them!

IanH said...

Be careful on the Facebook! I joined and within days, I was hacked from somebody on the other side of Canada or?? I had to change all my passwords and notify folks.

i'm not the only one that has experienced grief with FB.

Anonymous said...

I think your terrific. I read your blog most days, I think you're funny and your also very productive with good ideas.

David said...

I'm a firm believer in your Uncle's saying. In the absence of real information, people make up stuff, then that stuff becomes "true." I say Phooey!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks Carolyn! I'm getting the hang of it... wow its like crack tho.. i think i'm sucked in.

Robin - isnt it funny how all these 'younger ones' have the leg up on technology! hee hee hee

Aint that right, Mr. H. *shakes head*

hi KC! thanks :-)

hi Dave, i made the same vow.. now look at me! ha! and yes.. in their general direction i toot my goodbye ;-)

Thanks Traci! Its too bad so much changed, but they can do whatever they want. *shrugs*

Yay! thanks Becky - glad to have you on my list.

Sonja, the tail just slays me. I think Kai's tail had a tighter curl.. we hope Z has a double curl also.

Thanks Robby! :-)

Yay Ginny! I knew you'd "have my back" but I dont ever want to offend you with my rough language. Some say that I swear like a drunken sailor....

Hi Ian! A good reminder to have a better password. I'm not completely convinced about the whole thing, but it is addictive....

Awe shucks... thanks Anon. Glad to have you along. Lemme know if there is anything you'd like me to focus on - I take special requests.

Chai Chai said...

Facebook. As Mr Monk would say; "It is a blessing, and also a curse."

Chai Chai said...

The last two years the Commander has gotten me a Blog2print book of the last years blog posts, they have been great Christmas presents.

As much as I enjoy looking back at what has occurred others who visit us enjoy it more.

kcsunshine said...

Just remember to never click on these things like surveys or "click here to find out who has been looking at your profile", etc. Those things will get you.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

hey CC - ha! i love that monk guy.. and yeah i noticed the blog2book thing. sounds like a great idea.
:-)

thanks KC, i'll be on the lookout.

AZdesertFarmer said...

Wondered why you hadn't posted in "that other place" for awhile. Sorry things went south. I will send you a FB friend request when I get on the comp at home.

-Larry

Ohiofarmgirl said...

hey Larry! yep it was all pretty ridiculous. but sad too. onward and upward? cant wait to see you on FB - i hope you have tons of pix of your place
:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...