Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Sunday, September 19, 2010

Apple season surges ahead...baked applesauce

Apples are just dripping from the trees around here... its a great apple year for sure. We stopped by the orchard owned by our good friends yesterday and bought our favorite heritage variety - Grimes Golden.


I baked up a mess of lovely apple sauce and the house smelled like heaven. Instead of making applesauce on top of the stove I like it slow roasted and luscious.


I peeled and cored the apples while I skyped with my pal Eliza today. She, with a commanding view of the ocean in Hawaii, and me in my farm kitchen. She likes to hear the turkeys in the background when we talk.  The pigz got the bucket of apple peels.. and I let Debbie, the goat, have a couple bites as well.  But not too many - the fruit will set the bloat on her.

The chickens will pick around at the peels but with chicken cheese, what do they care about apples?  Its the turkeys who love apples best. Anything that rolls gets their attention. Now, they don't like the peels but let them chase a rolling apple and that, friend, is nothing but a good time.

Anyway, I fill a roasting pan with uniformly-ish cut apples, sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar (just a little), cover tightly with foil and bake in a slow oven (300* or 325*) for several hours. Be careful when you take off the foil as the steam will rush out. It might look like they haven't cooked down at all... but with a few stirs they are meltingly caramelly and delicious. Tomorrow I'll set to canning them.

Of course, the baked applesauce will be used for tiny pies. I understand my two favorite farm boys convinced their dad to get them tiny pie pans. Lehman's carries them if the rest of you were wondering.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our apples are also falling from trees. it is hard to keep up with picking them on time.

It's very interesting how you bake apples. I can imagine how the kitchen smelled... apples and cinnamon...

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks VRT! Baking them really changes the flavor and adds a lot of caramel. Its just lovely. Its on to pears next...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...