Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Floppy the Five Headed Monster!? And Everybody's Roosting - Take 2

I grabbed this cute pix when we were putting everyone in for the night.


Floppy has been doing a great job with The Five. She is a Brown Leghorn which typically are not the broody type.... but wow, what a great momma.  She set her nest like a pro and she keeps The Five close to her at all times. The little ones like to climb under her and up into her feathers. I love when they pop their heads out and she looks like a funny, fluffy, porcupine.  They also like to ride around on her back. Its hilarious.

The other hens need to watch it when Floppy takes her babies out. Yesterday Fats got a bit too close...


Floppy gave her a barnyard-style beat down. That's my girl.  But don't worry - we got there before it got too ugly and hustled Fats right out of the yard. Floppy called all the babies to her and marched them back into the hen house.

Speaking of cute chicks....

Remember when Mrs. Dowlrimple's Bugs were finally old enough to roost? Check out these babies now! They are growing like weeds...look how big!


And Mrs. D's shows that The Bugs will never be too big to be under her wing.

In other news... I've been bad about The Canning Report. Lets just say that the pressure canner hasn't even been put away lately.

Yesterday I did 3 pints of salsa verde, 4 pints of baked applesauce, and 3 quarts of chicken stock. I have more tomato sauce and applesauce that needs to be done.

Elsewhere in the barnyard...

Ohmigolly... the goats are ri-DICULOUS. Seriously... the moodiness, the standing around complaining, oh for heavens sakes. Someone may not make it thru their heat season...sheesh!

And I'm gradually reducing their milking to start drying them out. Right now they are both on once a day. Soon Nibbles will be on every other day...as will Debbie. I'm hoping to get them shipped off to the breeders in the next several weeks. We heard from Vita's breeder - she's already been bred!  Which means we'll see her the first week of March.

That's all the news that's fit to print! Happy first day of fall!

2 comments:

Grandpa said...

For a moment I thought your blog was turning into a horror movie! That's very funny - how obedient they are to let you catch that moment...

I don't mind that kind of weeds in my farm! Must get me some leghorns now

Unknown said...

That is a seriously cute pic of the 5 headed monster! I have a brown leghorn too - gorgeous bird, but flighty. She will never be a mother. So the heat is on again, goats AND the weather. It's too much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...