Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Friday, September 24, 2010

Creepy Meat. Its Back.

 Creepy Meat. Its Back.

 Never say never. That's all I'm sayin'

I got a big heap of it.

 

Well. The only thing that is certain......all y'all will have about 9 weeks of my constant complaining about how the meat chickens are creepy. Sigh. Go ahead. Give me the "told you so." Sheesh!

So that's my chicken confession. We had such a bad turkey hatch this year that we needed to do something. And fast...or we'd be eating old hen all winter. We'll have our first frost in mid-October so we had to move quickly. We ordered 25 dinner chicks from Meyer. They were a bargain! Including delivery to our local post office we got a straight run for about $43!  Right now they are under a heat lamp in a box in the basement. But we'll move them outside soon. We have one of the big turkey coops all ready for them.  I swear you can see them grow. Its creepy.  Here we go...

Creepy Meat-o-Meter:
Started with: 26 on 9/21
Today: 25
Status: Doing well but I had to take their food away for a couple of hours. Wow - do they suck down the water.

9 comments:

Mama Mess said...

HAHAHAHAHA!! Welcome to the dark side sister, welcome to the dark side.......

I sold all my laying hens in June, and don't miss them a bit (well except for the eggs of course) but you can bet your sweet booty that when my sicken meat gets low in the freezer, I'll have some fat juicy creepy meat birds out there......muwaaaahhaahahaaaa! ;)

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Dang creepy meats! Sheesh.... well.... I guess its all part of it. We felt bad about your poor turkey hatch until an old timer at the feed store said he also had a bad year.

In the meantime I'm gonna go and make sure our lt brahma rooster is out there takin' care of the ladies....if you know what I mean. Hopefully in the spring we'll have another Rooster Crew to take care of. Until then, where's my scoop? I'm bettin' those creepy meats need feedin' again. Yikes!
:-)

Mama Mess said...

LOL! I always just fill the feeders once in the morning and that's it. They grow a little slower that way, but not so many problems. I also put broiler booster in their water religiously and the entire time we have them.

Don't feel bad about your turkey hatch, it happens!

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! ;)

Melanie said...

Why is it creepy? Because they grow so fast?

Ohiofarmgirl said...

thanks GW! I'm working on a new less-creepy meat strategy.

Hi Melanie! how are they creepy? let me count the way... ugh. Click on the links in the post for all the details. Mostly b/c they are so un-chicken like. we are used to our happy and lively barnyard.. not these chicken-slugs. but. they are a great food value and, provided they dont flop over dead, they grow quickly so we will have a harvest before the snow flies.
:-)

Mimi said...

They sure are cute before they grow into their creepy.

(Admit it, you just bought them so that you'd have something fun to blog about! Admit it, admit it!!!!)

Ohiofarmgirl said...

ha! Meme you might be right. But for now I'm just kinda still creeped out by them. Because of their breeding/genetic engineering they are given to a kind of leg deformity and a couple have it. Its very creepy but they are getting along.

Say - are you at work?
;-)

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Yikes! and i just called you Meme! I meant... Mimi!! sorry! I have a pal by the same name.

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

How could something so cute get so creepy so fast? Amazing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...