Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Monday, June 22, 2015

Potatoes - got 'em!

My friend K reminded me to go and check for new potatoes.... I got some! We had a few for dinner last nite and I was very very glad. What a super find!

First of the potatoes. 

These are from the April 20th planting... so that is just about right. Even tho I planted a 50lbs sack of seed spuds, I'm not sure I'm going to have a huge harvest. I'm not sure what went wrong - maybe too cold, maybe too wet, maybe not a great batch of seed starts. So we'll see.

Unrelated pic our of Shine in an old apple crate.

In the meantime the rain finally, mercifully stopped. Tropical Storm Bill was a total downer... we got two months worth of rain in a week. Everything is a big muddy, soupy mess. No one is happy but the ducks. But it looks like we are on the upside and hopefully we will dry out.

There will have to be a lot of weeding - it's like a jungle out there. I'm hoping to get caught up. I'm mulching as fast and I can go and using a lot of cardboard to try and smother out what I can.

Happy Monday everyone - are you getting your taters taken up?


4 comments:

Cottontail Farm said...

How do you know when it's time to go looking for potatoes? Some of my plants are waist high and just starting to flower.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

you can start taking them, CTF, right after the flowers bloom. it's really easy to just peep under the plants and steal some without taking up the whole plant - and they will keep making more little potatoes. some folks dont even think about taking up the spuds until after the plants start to die off... but i cant wait that long. "new" potatoes are just the fresh young ones with thin skins. they have not been "cured" yet for over wintering. we just eat them all summer as "new" potatoes and then freeze whatever is left. we do not have a cellar so we dont have a good place to store them.
:-)

Quail said...

We found some surprise potatoes yesterday. I planted some sprouted store reds in winter and they came up fine, only to be munched to death by some invisible pest before spring really got going. I'd been watering the pots every now and then, hoping they would pop up again, but finally gave up. I let my daughter dump one of the pots to look for worms for the (non-laying, feed sucking, vegi garden raiding) chickens and lo and behold, there were potatoes in the pot! At least something is finally producing out there.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

isn't that funny how it works, Quail, you just never know.
:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...