Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Thursday, June 18, 2015

Sometimes you have to go and look for your blessing

I have determined that everyone has lost their minds. Especially in light of the troubling news this morning. What kind of world do we live in? Then throw in your own problems - like the unending rain, flooding, endless mud, the heat of the fire swamp...sometimes it's easy to get down.

Well, what do you know?

Sometimes you just need one thing to go right.

We've had a bunch of stupid stuff go wrong lately. Not anything earth shaking but tough enough to send us into fits. Some of it is self-created - but that doesn't mean it makes it any easier. It was so bad the other day that I actually laid on the floor with the dogs. Knowing I needed comfort my Dog#1 snuggled up in front of me and Zander laid right down next to me, back to back. Kai and Lucky tucked in where they could.

With my Good Shepherd before me and The Black Death behind me - whom shall I fear? What harm could befall me?  Mostly just Nicholas making his way into the dog pile but he just wanted to see what was going on.

I really needed one thing to go right today. I'm on my third shirt of the day and have been working out in the fire swamp doing battle against the Weeds of Doom. I had to rip out all my ruined broccoli and I'm fighting my way to the onions. It's just really frustrating being out in shirt-soaking humidity and the boot sucking mud - and then I couldn't find any good solutions for lunch.

Of course I turned to pie.

To be fair, I had a pie crust that I had to use... or that would go bad. Just another stupid thing in a line of annoyances. But we didn't have any fruit, nothing interesting to make, so I decided on this. But I really just needed three perfect eggs. I had some "been on the counter a while eggs." Dang.

So I put on my muddy boots and stomped back outside with very low expectations and I found..... three perfect eggs. In the easiest spot ever. Just sitting there waiting for me.

It was a good reminder not to get overwhelmed by all the boot-sucky things that happen or fall into the pit of negativity. Sometimes your blessing is waiting for you - you just have to get up and go out to the barn and get it.

This weather will pass, we will all pull together, and everything is going to be alright.

Lift your eyes up, friends. We are all in this together. Now lets all have a happy Thursday! Did you find your blessing right where you needed it to be? Did it result in pie?


6 comments:

moonshadows said...

Yes, found my blessing in an unexpected way, during this crappy week, SO inspired by your post.... peach pie for dinner it is!!!!

Vera said...

Bless you, OFG, reading your blog just now was a blessing to me, and also made me remember to count up all my other blessings, of which there are many. Vx

Onevikinggirl said...

Yes, Pie for dinner with vodka, just because of vikings...

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks, Moonshadows, sorry about your crappy week and yay for your blessing! *gives hugs*

We all need to stick together, right Vera? Onward and upward.
:-)

I'm fairly certain I must be part viking, OVG, ;-)
ps Nicholas says hi

Cottontail Farm said...

Yep, you absolutely have to take what you can get in life that's for sure. That pie looks amazing, is it just like a heavy custard? My duck is sitting on her eggs right now but I might have to hit up the hennies and try making one.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks CTF..and yep it's a nice custard pie. But not too heavy. I just love it.
:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...