Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Thursday, June 9, 2011

Cake. What else would you do with strawberries?

Whatcha having for breakfast? A pop-tart? Maybe some kind of egg-o-muffin thingy? Guess what I'm having?

Cake. It's what's for breakfast.

Cake. White cake with strawberry filling and cream cheese frosting. That's what I'm talkin' about.

Yesterday I was stuck in the house because of the heat. Me, with an empty oven and a few too many strawberries pretty much means "cake." I'm an equal opportunity baker, its not always about pie.

I found the white cake recipe here. See that you use four egg whites - the lack of yolks makes the white cake white. I'll be making a custard with the yolks. This is probably one of the few pastry recipes that I would not automatically reach for a duck egg. Duck eggs have huge yolks - but very little "white" - so instead I used the biggest chicken eggs I could find.

The filling and frosting recipes listed in the cake link were just too weird. I mean, why would you ruin it with canned pineapple?  And I don't have any idea what "envelopes of whipped topping mix" are but that sounds weird.  And fake too. Heck, if you're having cake you should just go with butter and cream and all that.

So I used the recipe for cream cheese frosting that I found here. For the filling I had a little bit of strawberry topping from the pie the other day.  But really all I did was cook the berries down a bit with a little thickener.

So enjoy that dry bagel or cereal bar...I'm having another slice of cake.

Happy Thursday everyone!

6 comments:

Mr. H. said...

It's only 38°here this morning...ba ba ba brrr. Thought you were going to box up some warmth and send it to us?:)

That cake looks so good..bad, but so good.

David P. Offutt - The Gastronomic Gardener said...

You are my Heroine! Really - Cake, cheesecake, pigs.... The big man is one lucky fella!

Robin said...

Boy that looks great!! If it weren't so darn hot out I would make a cake just like that one...with fresh strawberries I picked this morning from the garden!! Heck, I'm freezing veggies right now, I guess that I could make a cake too! What's a little more heat in the kitchen??

Ohiofarmgirl said...

I'll take your 38*, Mr. H, and raise you 70* at 6am. that was yesterday - today its slightly better.
;-)

Thats what I keep telling him, David! ha!

Thanks Robin! It really was good! Lucky you for already harvesting!

whenchickensdream said...

As soon as I saw the cake, I knew I had to make it. Wow - it turned out so yummy on a very hot day. Thank you so much for sharing recipes and a little bit of your life. I've so enjoyed reading your blog and check everyday to see if you've written anything new. You have a wonderful way with words.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Hi WCD! Thanks so much for tuning in! We had a great time here in our little corner of the world and are happy to have you be part of it. And I'm so glad you enjoyed the cake! Its such a summertime thing - and its beautiful too. Great work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...