Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Friday, December 7, 2012

Book List! And something new.

Sometimes folks ask me what I'm reading or for book recommendations about homesteading, farming, and butchering...and sometimes folks ask me how they can support this blog. Now I have an answer for both of these questions!

Introducing Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures In The Good Land Store!

How does it work? Easy peasy. Just click on the link along the top of this page called "Store" and you'll be taken to my Amazon store. You can also use the Amazon search box along the right column of this page. And then just make a purchase like your normally would. A small percentage of any purchases you make starting from these links goes to support this blog.

Does it cost you anything? Nope. You won't see any difference between entering Amazon from my links or by going there directly. I don't see the details of any transactions and its all Amazon's technology behind the scenes. Its just a way for me to promote products that I use and believe in. I'm a huge fan of Amazon and I think their folks are good and descent people. So I support them and their business.

Am I trying to get rich or die tryin'? Nope. Hopefully this will work out for all of us. This blog tool has a way to include ads - but I'm trying not to go that route. And since Blogger's "maximum picture space" thing got me - hopefully my store will offset those costs. Other wise I'd have to move the blog. Or have really really boring posts without pictures.

Can you buy Kindle versions of the books? Yep. You can purchase anything you normally would thru Amazon - books, movies, home goods, whatever. If you need to do some Amazon shopping anyway why not just start here? Just click on my store page, the Amazon search box, or any of my links and you will be supporting this blog.

Why am I doing this? Mostly to offset the new costs for the pictures, but also because I put a lot of work into this blog. I've tried to keep the focus on how-to's and sharing some of the entertaining things that happen here so I hope its valuable to you. Hopefully, if you've learned anything, been inspired or encouraged, or just had a good time with the Adventures In The Good Land you'll consider supporting this blog. 

So let's kick this off. If you need one book to really get a handle on how to homestead, farm, or live a more self sufficient life.. this is it:



The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It by John Seymour teaches you just about everything you need to know about raising livestock, gardening, and getting your farm up and running. I use this book to help plan my work for each season.  I love his no non-sense, practical approach.



If you are still in the dreaming stages of leaving your city life for the country, one book that really inspired me was Ten Acres Enough: The Classic 1864 Guide to Independent Farming by Edmund Morris. What surprised me the most was that I had some of the exact same thoughts he did while I was trying to decide to leave my big life. Mr. Morris published this book 100 years before I was born which just shows there is nothing new under the sun.




If you are just getting started with gardening, John Jeavons book How to Grow More Vegetables, Eighth Edition: (and Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops) Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You ... (And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains,)  is a terrific place to start. This is his latest edition. He has garden plans, crop rotations, and detailed information about how much you need to plant to feed your family.  



If you are already deep in the "grow your own, make your own" life then you'll need to make your own bacon. Of course you know that I'm a huge fan of Michael Ruhlman.  His book Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing is a must have. I'm curing bacon as we speak.

I hope you enjoy these recommendations. In the next couple of weeks I'll be sharing more of my book recommendations and adding more links. Thanks for supporting us!



7 comments:

freemotion said...

Its about time, girl! You've been selling books for Amazon and the publishers for years now, and giving us all free entertainment to boot. I will happily buy through your store, as I've already bought several books that you recommended and linked in the past. I wish you'd gotten a commission on those. You deserve it and more. You've helped me more than you'll ever know.

Question: what about the links to books in past posts? I often search for something you wrote in the past, and you almost always have a link to the recommended book on Amazon. Do those get you a piece of the action, or do I need to come back to the "store" button?

Sonja said...

Wow this IS big news. Yay for you. Will definitely be linking to amazon through you!

Provender Place said...

I love this feature! I shop on Amazon ALL the TIME! So glad I can send a little of this your way now!

Last year I worked for Amazon part time in one of their warehouses. It was an amazing experience and I have a huge appreciation for their business model (at least what I saw of it).

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks Free! And yep I'll go back thru the book recommendations that I've made and update the links. So you can click on any of the links in this blog.

Thanks Sonja! I really appreciate it! I hope this works out for everyone.

Hi FramingF and THANKS! I loved that you worked for Amazon - I really think they 'get it.' Its a great organization and I love how they sell stuff. So easy - and since we are so far out from civilization I have access to almost everything I need.

JeffJustJeff said...

I read 10 acres before we moved out here. That's a good choice. I've looked at the John Seymour book before and Charcuterie is on my Christmas list. I love Amazon as well and will be happy to support you blog. It does so much to help me, it will be nice to be able to pay some back ;-)

Hugs,
JJJ

David said...

Huh... We have some of the same books!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks JJJ! The 10 acres book really changed the way I look at things - its amazing.

Of course we do, Dave! Great minds and all of that.
:-D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...