Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Dog Training Tools & Books

Thanks everyone for all their support for my new Amazon store! I'm thrilled that its working and hope that you are happy with it also.


 I asked on 'the facebook' if anyone had any list requests and one of my pals suggested doing one about dogs. So I did! I also added a new "page" across the top of the blog called Dogs. Its in blue next to the store. I've collected my posts on dogs and dog training all in one place... and some adorable pix and videos.

If you've been a blog pal for long you know that my hard working farm dogs are key to my success. They are like an extra pair of hands and I couldn't get my work done without them. Whether they are guarding the perimeter, killing varmints, or keeping baby goats in line - my Dog Horde is second to none. And they are the stars of many "not entirely fiction" stories!



The books I recommend if you have a dog, want to get a dog, know someone with a dog, or just want to learn more about dogs - especially hard working farm dogs are Be the Pack Leader: Use Cesar's Way to Transform Your Dog . . . and Your Life, How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Training Manual for Dog Owners (Revised & Updated Edition), and The farmer's dog. I was not a dog person before I moved here and these are my only references. These books have led to my success.

Our Very Good Vet changed the way I look at dogs and also how they play. Frankly she told me that dogs need to learn to entertain themselves and should go and find a stick to play with instead of begging for attention. So we don't have a lot of toys - especially since my Dog#1 obsessively chews on things and wore down all of his canine teeth. But since we have big, smart dogs we needed something .... so she recommended a few things including the Jolly Pets Egg Plastic Ball for Pets, 12-Inch, Red.

 

But our big toy is a ball and a Chuckit!  Our dogs love to play fetch....well..most of them love to play fetch. Mostly Kai just likes the running.  The Chuckit allows you to throw the ball really far - and as we say, a tired dog is a good dog.

You can see all of these books and more by clicking on the links or by going to the Dogs & Dog Training section in my Farm Tools & Book Amazon store.

Thanks everyone! By clicking on these links you are supporting this blog. If you are interested in any of these products - or need to do some shopping anyway - why not click on one of the links in this post, go to my Farm Tools & Books store, or use the Amazon search box on the right side of this page?

Have a great Wednesday! Now get out there and train your dogs!


3 comments:

Misty Pines Homestead said...

You know Orion will NOT eat peanut butter.I've had many and one dogs and they all ate it but NOOOO he won't.He has been a little ansy here lately because he sees me packing stuff up for our move and he got a new harness to wear that he don't like.I'm very glad you got your Amazon store open and I will watch and see what you have. Lots of luck with it.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Thanks AnnNF! Its going really well. And yeah isnt it kinda creepy how they know what is going on? I used to have to put my old cats in another room to pack my suitcase when I was traveling. They'd get too upset!

David said...

More books for the tool kit! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...